Do you Cook/Bake?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
@Urmas I've made the dough, and I'm just waiting for it to rise. It's taking its time! My kitchen isn't very warm today, so I imagine that is the reason why. They say that a long cool rise is better than a short warm one, so let's hope that's true!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
They say that a long cool rise is better than a short warm one, so let's hope that's true!
Well I can vouch for that being the case with bread dough, which I have sometimes left in the fridge to rise overnight. (No, I'm not April fooling, I promise.) I have done that when time has been short and the resulting loaves have been extremely good. :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
They're done! They are not the most beauteous creations, but they taste yummy and that's what counts!! :D

20160401_161146.jpg

20160401_161336.jpg

Om nom nom :drool:

Thanks again to @Urmas for the tips. I love the cardamom flavour, it's delicious. Now, I must freeze these or I'll be tempted to eat them all at once!! :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh wow! Very good job Becky! Those look absolutely delicious! Ooh the cruelty of seeing them without being able to taste. :drool: :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
... and I'm just waiting for it to rise. It's taking its time!

It takes a while... considerably longer than a "normal" yeast bread dough would. But patience is a virtue in baking. And a long rise is indeed better. Some folks make the dough, throw it into the fridge and bake it the next day.

P.S. They're looking just fine for "the first batch". And if the taste is "OMG omnomnom"... well... you've nailed it! I'm proud of ya!

:bow:

Next challenge (same dough): a simple (four strains) braid with vanilla creme/ plum marmelade filling:

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Mmmm they look wonderful! Once we've eaten our way through all the pulla I'll take a look ;)

(I froze most of them - there's only two of us, and I don't want to share!!)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
(I froze most of them - there's only two of us, and I don't want to share!!)

Thawing... either in room temperature overnight or throw frozen pullas to cold oven and set the thermostat to 150 °C. When the temperature reaches 150 degrees, buns are delish and warm.

I made THESE yesterday — again, same dough. Too easy, really... but I was feeling lazy. (Quark... fromage frais is a decent approximation.) Yummy. I also baked buttermilk (oat-ish) rolls, but that's another story.

(EDIT: the recipe above... a "2-and-½-deciliter-dough" yields to 16 buns. So there.)

Here's a vid... never mind the language, just watch.

:drool:

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I made THESE yesterday — again, same dough. Too easy, really... but I was feeling lazy. (Quark... fromage frais is a decent approximation.) Yummy. I also baked buttermilk (oat-ish) rolls, but that's another story.

YUM! :drool:

They look really good - I'm guessing the filling tastes like cheesecake? I can get hold of quark easily, so I may have to give those a try sometime :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Plums are in season at the moment so I made some Plum Cake recently :)

paleo plum cake.jpg

Never did get around to making those quark buns I'm afraid, @Urmas. Still hoping to do them one day though :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oooh Becky! That looks deliciously yummy. :drool: Um... don't suppose there is any left perchance...? :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Never did get around to making those quark buns I'm afraid, @Urmas. Still hoping to do them one day though :)

I bet that plum cake is yummy! Looks properly moist and all!

In case of emergency: Kanelbullar

Just (slightly) kidding... but they are not that awful... just that if you bake 'em from the scratch, they'll be five times cheaper and ten times better.

That said, IKEA's (there is one in Manchester — I checked) food courts are life savers for many a Nordic ex-pat around the world.

ABSOLUTE
must-haves:

Bread toppings / with new potatoes, butter & fresh dill:
LAX GRAVAD
SILL INLAGD
SILL MATJES

"Marinated salmon", my donkey... tropical folks (such as Britons) sometimes think that cured fish is "raw" and thus potentially dangerous. Hence, "marinated". Also, tropical folks sometimes find pickled/soused/brined herring too... something? Dunno. The thing to remember is that (salty & spiced) pickled fish was/is to be used as a "relish" — potatoes and/or (rye) bread being the staple.

voi4.jpg

Plus:
KNÄCKEBRÖD RÅG
Affectionately known as "plywood". Butter + Edam cheese + sliced cucumber = Hygge meets lagom

SKORPOR KARDEMUMMA
Dunk in coffee. Enjoy. Rinse & repeat.

SYLT LINGON
How does one eat cabbage rolls without lingonberry jam? Huh? Or liver casserole for that matter? Or spinach pancakes? Defies comprehension.

DRYCK LINGON
DRYCK BLÅBÄR
And a bottle of vodka... or two.

SENAP GROV
A grainy, Scanian style "all-purpose" mustard.

Speaking of gravlax, herrings & lingonberries (and the Helsinki Baltic Herring Market) : If anyone happens to be interested in THIS TYPE of bread, I have tinkered together a (methinks) perfect variation of the theme. I might be persuaded to post it here.

Helppo_lohisaaristolaisleip%C3%A4.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
tropical folks (such as Britons)

This made me chuckle! Don't think I have ever been referred to as Tropical before :lol:

Yum, you're making me hungry :drool: I've probably tried more than half of the things on that list - never tried marinated herring though, so I'll see if I can pick some up next time we're at Ikea and give it a go.

If anyone happens to be interested in THIS TYPE of bread, I have tinkered together a (methinks) perfect variation of the theme. I might be persuaded to post it here.

Yes please! :D

Ask a Question