DNS problem with adding Machines

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 DNS' started by Michael Motta, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. I have just reloaded my 2000 server and I want to use the
    DNS server that comes with it. I have previously used a
    third party DNS server. When I try to add machines to
    the domain I get the following error message. I changed
    the domain name . :)

    "The following error occurred when DNS was queried for
    the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate
    a domain controller for domain mydomain.COM:

    The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

    The query was for the SRV record for
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM

    Common causes of this error include the following:

    - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

    - One or more of the following zones do not include
    delegation to its child zone:

    mydomain.COM
    COM
    .. (the root zone)

    This is setup as a domain controller and uses active
    directory. I had this problem last time and that is why
    I used another program. I would like this time to figure
    out what dumb thing I am/not doing.

    It is that my other machines cannot see the domain
    controller.

    Thx

    Michael Motta, Nov 11, 2003

  2. > The query was for the SRV record for
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM
    >
    > Common causes of this error include the following:
    >
    > - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

    In order for this DC to register it's records in DNS it should be pointed to
    itself in the properties of TCP/IP. Is it?

    See:
    How to Verify the Creation of SRV Records for a Domain Controller

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241515
    Also see:
    How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    Danny Sanders, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Michael Motta

    Guest Guest

    Well I got it working with your help. Thank you. Now it
    appears that everything works as long as I dont log onto
    the machine. If I log on and try do do anything the
    server farts on itself. I cannot access the internet or
    open any programs or anything. At that point the other
    machines on the network cannot get any dns service
    either. I am even unable to run active dir users and
    computers. If the dns manager does open it will not do
    anything. The screen flashes and then it just sits
    there. Then the machine will not shut down. I had these
    problems last time I tried to get the built in DNS
    working and remember why I went to a third party program
    now. This is very frustrating as I do not even know what
    questions to ask to even try to get help. Guess a freash
    install may be in order and see if it has something to do
    with the order I load things. ARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!

    us;241515
    >Also see:
    >How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

    us;300202

    > Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    us;237675

    Guest, Nov 11, 2003
  4. In news:067c01c3a88f$31709f80$,
    Michael Motta <> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I have just reloaded my 2000 server and I want to use the
    > DNS server that comes with it. I have previously used a
    > third party DNS server. When I try to add machines to
    > the domain I get the following error message. I changed
    > the domain name . :)
    >
    > "The following error occurred when DNS was queried for
    > the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate
    > a domain controller for domain mydomain.COM:
    >
    > The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    > (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
    >
    > The query was for the SRV record for
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM
    >
    > Common causes of this error include the following:
    >
    > - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
    >
    > - One or more of the following zones do not include
    > delegation to its child zone:
    >
    > mydomain.COM
    > COM
    > . (the root zone)
    >
    > This is setup as a domain controller and uses active
    > directory. I had this problem last time and that is why
    > I used another program. I would like this time to figure
    > out what dumb thing I am/not doing.
    >
    > It is that my other machines cannot see the domain
    > controller.
    >
    > Thx

    Which is the correct domain name domain.mydomain.com or mydomain.com?

    post an ipconfig /all with the answer

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP], Nov 11, 2003
  5. In news:05dd01c3a8a3$c151e050$,
    <>
    posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Well I got it working with your help. Thank you. Now it
    > appears that everything works as long as I dont log onto
    > the machine. If I log on and try do do anything the
    > server farts on itself. I cannot access the internet or
    > open any programs or anything. At that point the other
    > machines on the network cannot get any dns service
    > either. I am even unable to run active dir users and
    > computers. If the dns manager does open it will not do
    > anything. The screen flashes and then it just sits
    > there. Then the machine will not shut down. I had these
    > problems last time I tried to get the built in DNS
    > working and remember why I went to a third party program
    > now. This is very frustrating as I do not even know what
    > questions to ask to even try to get help. Guess a freash
    > install may be in order and see if it has something to do
    > with the order I load things. ARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!

    Can you use Computer managment from another machine?

    Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP], Nov 12, 2003
  6. First, all the clients and servers should point at only the WIndows 2000 server for DNS. Do not point at the ISP. Since you just
    rebuilt the server and renamed it, the clients will need to be disjoined from the old domain and added to the new domain. You
    will need to make sure that a zone exists within the DNS forward lookup zones that matches the DNS name of your AD. This
    zone will also need dynamic updates enabled.

    Thank you,
    Mike Johnston
    Microsoft Network Support
    --

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
    terms specified at

    Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
    which they originated.

    Michael Johnston [MSFT], Nov 12, 2003