    Does any one know how to type in word the traditional
    division symbol? I'm trying to type a math test for lower
    level elementary school students.

    linda, Jul 17, 2003

  2. linda

    Jerry Bodoff Guest

    Hi Klaus:

    If I understood Linda correctly I think what she wants
    for school tests is:

    1
    -
    3

    Jerry B.

    in "Insert > Symbol").

    >You can get the fraction slash or the division slash

    (which look like a
    >more tilted "/") in Word2002 by typing 2044 or 2215,

    followed by Alt+X. It
    >should work with "Arial" et al, but older, smaller fonts

    won't have the two

    Jerry Bodoff, Jul 17, 2003

  3. linda

    Klaus Linke Guest

    Hi Jerry,

    Maybe... but my crystal ball looks cloudy.
    So I mentioned the possibilities -- just in case.

    Klaus

    Klaus Linke, Jul 17, 2003
  4. linda

    Jerry Bodoff Guest

    Hi Klaus:

    I assumed that is what Linda wants because she
    stated "traditional" and for low level elementary school,
    fractions are probably represented in the text books
    as 'N over D'.

    Jerry B.

    Jerry Bodoff, Jul 17, 2003
  5. linda

    Bert Guest

    Linda,

    Here is another way to get the division symbol (and many
    others). Run the Character Map utility in windows.
    Depending on your version it could be located in several
    menu locations. In W2000 it's under Start - Programs -
    Accessories - System tools. Or at the run command just
    type charmap.

    Once there, select the font called symbols. The rest is
    just copy paste. Be sure to format the font in Symbol in
    word or it won't display correctly.

    Good Luck,
    Bert

    Bert, Jul 17, 2003
  6. FWIW, I interpreted this the same as Klaus, that Linda wanted x ÷ y.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jul 17, 2003
  7. linda

    Mary Guest

    To me the simplest way to insert a division sign is to go
    to Insert, Symbol, and you will find in one of the many
    font selections a division symbol.

    Mary, Jul 18, 2003