Display driver problems after WINDOWS UPDATE driver update

G

The other day, Windows Update told me there was a new display driver available for my machine (WinXP, 1.2Ghz PIV, 512mb ram, Nvidia 2MX200 card). The driver was released Oct 03. I told Windows to download and install. All, I thought went well. After the mandatory reboot, my computer now dies after being on for about 48-52 hours! It used to run until I made it reboot (19 days once!). Can anyone tell me the problem? I reloaded the driver; problem pervails!!!

G

-----Original Message-----
The other day, Windows Update told me there was a new
display driver available for my machine (WinXP, 1.2Ghz
PIV, 512mb ram, Nvidia 2MX200 card). The driver was
released Oct 03. I told Windows to download and
install. All, I thought went well. After the mandatory
reboot, my computer now dies after being on for about 48-
52 hours! It used to run until I made it reboot (19 days
once!). Can anyone tell me the problem? I reloaded the
driver; problem pervails!!!
It it always best to download updated drivers from the
mfg's. website and not from windows update. Try another
download from here.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Reaction score
Problem
The user allowed windows to automatically download updates. Contained in these updates was a driver for a video card. The user did not pay attention to the updates being loaded within the list. When the updates finished, the system rebooted and the duel displays no longer worked. The user found that the monitor was showing up in the display properties but no second display in the monitors.

Synopsis
It is very important to make sure that when allowing Microsoft updates to download and install that the user should take the time to review what has been suggested by Microsoft. Not all drivers or updates are need.

Resolution
The solution to the problem was corrected by downloading the original drivers from the manufactures website. Once the drivers were reloaded the duel display was restored. The user just need to check the box to use the second monitor as extended in the Display properties box.

Timothy Kirk
Internetwork Consulting

Ask a Question