DISKPART does not show USB disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by black_13, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. black_13

    black_13 Guest

    I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
    but so far i have not had success.
    when i run the following
    diskpart>
    diskpart>list disk
    the only disks list are the hard drives I have running on my computer
    however when i list the volumes present this is what I get:
    DISKPART> list volume

    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
    Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
    --------
    Volume 0 D VX2PVOL_EN CDFS DVD-ROM 587 MB
    Volume 1 E DVD-ROM 0 B
    Volume 2 H DVD-ROM 0 B
    Volume 3 G DVD-ROM 0 B
    Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 149 GB Healthy
    System
    Volume 5 F HW_ENG NTFS Partition 373 GB Healthy
    Volume 6 Z NEW VOLUME FAT32 Removeable 7872 MB

    what am i doing wrong or is the usb stick damaged.
    thanks
    black_13

    black_13, Jan 24, 2008

  2. black_13

    JS Guest

    Removable disks are not displayed.
    See: A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

    Have you tried XP's Disk Management?

    JS

    JS, Jan 24, 2008

  3. black_13

    John John Guest

    You won't be able to do that with the XP version of Diskpart, it doesn't
    see flash drives as disks. You can do it with Vista Diskpart.

    John

    John John, Jan 24, 2008
  4. black_13

    Andy Guest

    Isn't Volume 6 the USB disk?

    Andy, Jan 25, 2008
  5. black_13

    Uwe Sieber Guest

    Windows 2000 and higher doesn't support partitioning
    'removable' drives. Even multiple partition exist
    on a 'removable' drive, Windows will see first one only.

    You need one of the very rare USB flash drives which
    have not set the 'removable media bit' (RMB) in their
    device descriptor. Windows then handles them as 'Local
    drive' as known from USB harddrives.
    I'm searching for such a piece since years for testing
    but so far I haven't found one.

    Uwe

    Uwe Sieber, Jan 25, 2008
  6. On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:05:12 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:

    > Windows 2000 and higher doesn't support partitioning
    > 'removable' drives. Even if multiple partitions exist
    > on a 'removable' drive, Windows will see first one only.

    > You need one of the very rare USB flash drives
    > which have not set the 'removable media bit' (RMB)
    > in their device descriptor. Windows then handles them
    > as 'Local drive' as known from USB harddrives.
    > I'm searching for such a piece since years for testing
    > but so far I haven't found one.

    All my Lexar "Jump Drive Secure" (older "fat" style)
    do exactly that; example of this (now obsolete) style:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000290ZFY
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-30477654.html

    There is now a new style; I don't know whether they act the same:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BMRO10
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-32467611.html

    John H Meyers, Jan 25, 2008
  7. black_13

    Uwe Sieber Guest

    John H Meyers wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:05:12 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:
    >
    >> Windows 2000 and higher doesn't support partitioning
    >> 'removable' drives. Even if multiple partitions exist
    >> on a 'removable' drive, Windows will see first one only.

    >> You need one of the very rare USB flash drives
    >> which have not set the 'removable media bit' (RMB)
    >> in their device descriptor. Windows then handles them
    >> as 'Local drive' as known from USB harddrives.
    >> I'm searching for such a piece since years for testing
    >> but so far I haven't found one.

    > All my Lexar "Jump Drive Secure" (older "fat" style)
    > do exactly that; example of this (now obsolete) style:
    > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000290ZFY
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-30477654.html
    >
    > There is now a new style; I don't know whether they act the same:
    > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BMRO10
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-32467611.html

    Thanks for the information! I have a drive that
    look exactely as the one form link 1 but it's
    'removable'. It's USB1 only event it definitely
    should be USB2, probably a China fake from the
    early days of USB2...
    I'll try to find such a drive at eBay. I remember
    in a posting in the Lexar forum where users complained
    about XP creating the 'System Volume Information'
    folder on Lexar drives. Lexar's solution was to
    set the RMB bit in future drives...

    With product name and picture I hope I'll find one :)

    Thanks and Greetings from Germany

    Uwe

    Uwe Sieber, Jan 25, 2008
  8. On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:44:00 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:

    > I have a [Lexar Jump] drive that look exactely as the one from link 1
    > but it's 'removable'. It's USB1 only event it definitely should be USB2,
    > probably a China fake from the early days of USB2...

    My first-purchased (model JDS-128-40-520B) is I think USB 1.1
    (as is the "520C" series as well, I believe);
    a later model, where printing "Lexar Jump Drive" was turned sideways,
    (JDS256-40-520J) is I think USB 2.0

    > I'll try to find such a drive at eBay. I remember
    > in a posting in the Lexar forum where users complained
    > about XP creating the 'System Volume Information'
    > folder on Lexar drives. Lexar's solution was to
    > set the RMB bit in future drives...

    Does that also influence creation of "Recycler"?

    While using Win2000, I also had lots of trouble
    with drives refusing to be "removed safely,"
    even after waiting an extremely long time,
    then pulling them, only to get a flurry of
    "delayed write failed" messages -- is that
    also a potential consequence of the same status,
    rather than "removable"? (write cache disabled
    by default on XP?)

    The only thing I always wanted (but never got)
    on USB flash sticks is a "write protect" switch;
    now I don't buy USB sticks any more, but instead
    buy small SD readers that recognize the "read protect"
    slider on an SD card, which finally adds that feature
    (besides making it possible to carry a pocketful
    of "drives" that each is just a tiny card,
    and only enough adapters to handle the maximum number
    that I ever want to use at the same time).

    Your "ListUSBdrives" program helped me diagnose
    that those adapters may have identical serial numbers,
    which originally caused a problem on Win2000,
    for which you also provided the solution, thanks.

    John H Meyers, Jan 25, 2008
  9. black_13

    Uwe Sieber Guest

    John H Meyers wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:44:00 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:
    >
    >> I have a [Lexar Jump] drive that look exactely as the one from link 1
    >> but it's 'removable'. It's USB1 only event it definitely should be USB2,
    >> probably a China fake from the early days of USB2...

    > My first-purchased (model JDS-128-40-520B) is I think USB 1.1
    > (as is the "520C" series as well, I believe);
    > a later model, where printing "Lexar Jump Drive" was turned sideways,
    > (JDS256-40-520J) is I think USB 2.0
    >
    >> I'll try to find such a drive at eBay. I remember
    >> in a posting in the Lexar forum where users complained
    >> about XP creating the 'System Volume Information'
    >> folder on Lexar drives. Lexar's solution was to
    >> set the RMB bit in future drives...

    > Does that also influence creation of "Recycler"?

    Yes, on 'Removable' drives (mouted to a drive letter)
    XP does not enable the Recycler function. Files are
    deleted immediately.

    > While using Win2000, I also had lots of trouble
    > with drives refusing to be "removed safely,"
    > even after waiting an extremely long time,
    > then pulling them, only to get a flurry of
    > "delayed write failed" messages -- is that
    > also a potential consequence of the same status,
    > rather than "removable"? (write cache disabled
    > by default on XP?)

    Under 2000 'Removeable' drives had a write cache enabled
    while since XP there is (nearly) no write cache.
    Under Win2000 problems with the 'save removal' are quite
    unusual, maybe caused by 3rd party software as anti
    virus or anti anything software.

    > The only thing I always wanted (but never got)
    > on USB flash sticks is a "write protect" switch;

    Under XP there is a registry switch for that but it's
    a global setting from all (removable?) USB drives.

    Greetings from Germany

    Uwe

    Uwe Sieber, Jan 28, 2008
  10. black_13

    Plato Guest

    black_13 wrote:

    > I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
    > but so far i have not had success.

    Isn't diskpart for hard drives only?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 30, 2008
  11. Re: DISKPART does not show USB disk - write protecting USB

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:59:07 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:

    > Under XP there is a registry switch for "write protect"
    > but it's a global setting from all (removable?) USB drives.

    Evidently so, and probably whether "removable" or not:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/registry-hack-to-disable-writing-to-usb-drives/

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies]
    "WriteProtect"=dword:00000001

    The following further elaborates:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/serversecurity/tcg/tcgch10n.mspx

    "StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect...
    When the WriteProtect value is set to 1, Windows XP with SP2
    will block writes to USB block storage devices...
    However, there are many other ways that a skilled attacker
    can steal data with a USB device. For example, a USB device can be programmed
    to enumerate as a non-block storage device (like a printer or CD-ROM device),
    which will bypass this control."

    Someone asks below an as yet unanswered question
    about whether this same setting blocks a USB floppy:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...34d9d34-dc1b-465a-a5e4-e77e7320e869&sloc=&p=1

    John H Meyers, Jan 31, 2008
  12. black_13

    Guest