Disk Partitions

dougw

Hi,

I want to delete a disk partition. Will the deleted
partition space become assigned to the remaining
partition?

Specifically, I have one hard drive that has a c: and d:
partition. I want to delete the d: partition and have only
one drive, c:, with all the space that was in d: assigned
to c:.

So I will right click on the Data disk partition D: in the
Disk Manager and "Delete Parition". I know I will loose
the data in D: but will I have to reformat the entire
drive to recapture the space that was on D:?

Running w2k.

I've read the Admin Pocket Consultant by Stanek but it
doesn't say what happens to the deleted space.

Thanks,

Doug

Danny Sanders

The deleted partition remains as free space. You will have to delete the C
partition then recreate it to include the free space from the D partition.
Partition Magic may do this without deleting the C partition.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

Theo Nelson

Doug's right about using a third party product like
Partition Magic although this won't work if you are using
a dynamic disk.

Paul Hopwood

dougw said:
I want to delete a disk partition. Will the deleted
partition space become assigned to the remaining
partition?
Specifically, I have one hard drive that has a c: and d:
partition. I want to delete the d: partition and have only
one drive, c:, with all the space that was in d: assigned
to c:.

Disk Manager won't allow you to extend the volume even if it meets the
criteria for (was formatted as a dynamic volume with NTFS) because
it's a System Volume.

You may be able to do with it with a third party tool such as
Partition Magic or, alternatively, borrow a drive from elsewhere to
allow you to copy the working installation and re-format it.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Specifically, I have one hard drive that has a c: and d:
partition. I want to delete the d: partition and have only
one drive, c:, with all the space that was in d: assigned
to c:.

Why?

Bob Felton

How would one copy the working installation? This is just what I need
to do. I want to copy my working Windows 2000 Server (DC and only DC
on the network) installation onto a newly built hardware implemented
(Adaptec 2100S) RAID 5 array and replace the existing drive with the
new RAID drive as the c:\ (system) drive. Tnx!

Wolf Kirchmeir

How would one copy the working installation? This is just what I need
to do. I want to copy my working Windows 2000 Server (DC and only DC
on the network) installation onto a newly built hardware implemented
(Adaptec 2100S) RAID 5 array and replace the existing drive with the
new RAID drive as the c:\ (system) drive. Tnx!

You are "Moving to New Hardware," so your first problem is to do that.
Converting an installation to RAID is a different problem, I have no
information on that. But for the move, the following will help, courtesy of
Bruce
Chambers:

From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Replaced Motherboard
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:48:37 -0600

Greetings --

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q249694

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
Always store beer in a dark place. -- RAH

From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: changing motherboards and CPU's
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:53:20 -0700

Greetings --

Unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one
(same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to
perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Bob Felton

Thanks. I'll give the articles a looksee.