    start up disk. Is there any way to get this as a download? I have Windows XP
    running on a different computer could I copy something from this other
    working computer?

    kmpatten, Jan 20, 2008

  2. kmpatten

    Malke Guest

    Re: Disk I/O Error Disk Boot Failure insert system disk and pressente

    kmpatten wrote:
    > This is what pops up on a black screen when I start my computer. I tried
    > going into System recovery from F8 and I got the message Stop: C0000218
    > Registry file failure THe registry cannot load the hive file \System
    > root\System
    > 32\Config\Software. I went to the microsoft website and they tell me I need
    > to restore my registry the first step says Inser the Windows XP startup disk.
    > This is a reconditioned computer bought through Costco and I don't have the
    > start up disk. Is there any way to get this as a download? I have Windows XP
    > running on a different computer could I copy something from this other
    > working computer?

    This message means there is a physical problem with your hard drive
    and/or your motherboard. Software solutions (XP) aren't going to help.
    There are various ways to test the hardware, but I'd start by testing
    the hard drive with a diagnostic utility downloaded from the drive
    mftr.'s website. You will create a bootable CD with the file you
    download. You will need third-party burning software to do this such as
    Roxio, Nero, or the free CDBurnerXP Pro.

    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it
    fails any physical tests, replace it. This kind of testing assumes that
    you can see the hard drive from the BIOS. If you can't, you can connect
    the hard drive into another computer and see if it works there. Unless
    the hardware is identical you won't be able to boot into XP, but you'll
    see if you get the same error. If you don't, then probably the
    motherboard on the original machine is at fault. If you do get the error
    or the testbed machine's BIOS doesn't see the drive, then you know the
    hard drive has failed.

    You also might want to try swapping out the hard drive ribbon cable for
    a known-working one or even just reseating the one you have. You can
    also try connecting the hard drive and cable to a different IDE (or
    SATA) drive connector on the motherboard.

    If the motherboard itself is bad, maybe you can return the machine to
    Costco.

    Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these
    are just suggestions based on many years of being a professional
    computer tech; suggestions based on what you've written. You should not
    take my suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. Testing hardware failures
    often involves swapping out suspected parts with known-good parts. If
    you can't do the testing yourself and/or are uncomfortable opening your
    computer, take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not
    your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have
    all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com