    The file that couldn't be defragmented doesn't exist.

    Also unfortunately, it says the file is in my Temporary Internet Files folder that can't be modified

    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Feb 27, 2004

    DCC Guest

    You should empty your Temp int files + cookies before you defrag. Try it.

    DCC, Feb 27, 2004

    Bee Guest

    Temporary Internet Files, being for temporary use only -- and really should
    be called files used in the past but are still being kept anyway -- can
    certainly be deleted straight away, folders and all.

    For defragmentation to work, at least 15% of the total capacity of the
    drive/partition you want to defrag needs to be unoccupied, free space as
    'elbow room'. This figure is in the top panel of the Defragmentation
    window. To free up some extra space, delete or move more files, if
    necessary. If the space is tight, doing a Disk Cleanup won't be amiss here.
    Also, if the drive/partition in question has errors, the defragmenter will
    halt. So, use the Check Disk utility to be sure this is not the case.

    Files in the Recycle Bin are not touched by the defragmenter, so if the bin
    contains a large number of files, the end picture would appear to suggest an
    incomplete processing. Empty the bin before defrag.

    Hope this helps.

    Bee.
    --
    [I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

    Bee, Feb 27, 2004