Discuss : Essential PC Software

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This is a discussion thread split from V_R's main list here:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2697599.php

Excellent list there V_R - well worthy of being a sticky :D I've not used the rootkit tools so I am trying both now :)

I've got a couple of suggestions for you that I think may be useful:

Adobe Acrobat Reader (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) - I use this all the time as PDFs seem to be everywhere now.

Crap Cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) - A useful little application to clear crap from your PC, I run it once a month just to clear all the cache's that build up.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers Ian. :)

Ah yes, knew i'd forgot something!

I'll add 'em in in a bit. :thumb:
Cant believe i forgot Adobe, i use it at work constantly! :blush:

Going to keep adding stuff as i remember them, like the 3dmark benchmarks and anything else i remember.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian, V_R,

It may be better to split & lock the first post so only V_R & other mods can edit ... then have a discussions/additions thread.

Here's my adds ...

Opera Web Browser ... It beats IE and Firefox in some areas, and is free and independent.

Comodo Firewall ... is free, has some minor quirks, is better than ZA free ... IMHO ... yes, I have tried it.

OpenOffice 2 ... it is free and is more than capable of producing anything you can do in MS Office ... and a free PDF reader/writer too. ;)

Linux ... well it is free :p if you are serious and need an OS but don't need to play games. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok the programs mentioned above have now been added to the list. :)

I've given it a sort out now so hopefully its a bit clearer.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Great job V_R ...
nod.gif

Now, I ain't nitpicking but ... SpywareBlaster

[font=Arial, sans-serif] Runs in the background, giving you added protection from ‘drive by downloading’ from dodgy sites. $9.95 a year will give you automatic updates, but its not really needed.
The bit I highlighted in blue is not actually true ... it doesn't "run in the background" but actually sets "kill-bits" when you enable all protection.

The green highlight maybe better worded ... "For a little over £5 why not show your appreciation for this excellent free program and get automatic updates for a year" ... ;)

user.gif

[/font]

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks mucks, no probs comments are good. I've been looking at ths on and off all day so i dare say i've missed bits. :)

Hows it looking now?

muckshifter

Reaction score
V_R said:
Thanks mucks, no probs comments are good. I've been looking at ths on and off all day so i dare say i've missed bits. :)

Hows it looking now?
Brill ... :thumb:

Now we need to get Ian to do a quick write-up for the Front Page ... :D

nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Brill ... :thumb:

Now we need to get Ian to do a quick write-up for the Front Page ... :D

nod.gif
Will do this first thing tomorrow morning :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Added Media Players and Codecs and 3Dmark Benchmarks to the list.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I can recomend FastStone Image Viewer , its freeware and spyware free .

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Good job by the way , but you have no screen capture software .Very useful for when you need help with software crashes etc . A picture of the error message can cut out a lot of confusing posts and replies .

I use Hoversnap freeware and spyware free ,

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

this looks good but I've not tried it yet . Has the edge over Hoversnap as far as I can see in that it will load at start up .

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

Just tried out the FastStone Capture and it seems pretty easy to set up and use .

nod.gif

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I put this together for another forum. It may be a little out of date now, there are bound to be duplicates, but here it is:

Security

Antivir An anti-virus program.

Avast An anti-virus program.

Grisoft AVG An anti-virus program

Crap Cleaner CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.

AdAwareSE Malware cleaner

A-Squared Malware cleaner Note: No longer free as at April 2006. Trial version only.

Spybot Search & Destroy Malware cleaner.

Spywareblaster Malware preventer. Blocks malware. Runs in background.

Video Drivers

Guru 3D All latest Video drivers for every make of video card including Beta drivers. Tools, benchmarks, tweaks, all things concerning video cards.

Omega Drivers Optimised and re-written drivers the author claims improve gaming. For Nvidia & ATI cards.

Nividia Home Page For latest drivers straight from the manufacturer.

ATI Home Page For latest drivers direct from the manufacturer.

Tools

Memtest Tests motherboard memory. Download program or ISO then boot from floppy or CD.

Ultimate Boot CD Consolidates as many diagnostic tools as possible into one bootable CD.

Speedfan Monitors temperatures, voltages and fan speeds.

Motherboard Monitor Monitors temperatures, voltages and fan speeds. Last version made in 2004, suitable for older motherboards.

Bootdisk Download bootdisks. Including the one you need to have to flash a Bios.

Prime 95 A CPU Stress test, ideal for checking if your overclock is stable.

CPUID. Gathers information on your CPU; Memory; Motherboard & system, including FSB & Multiplier.

Bart's bootable live Windows CD/DVD Gives you a complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem support. Very handy for burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files to a network share, virus scan and so on.

JV16 Registry Cleaner A registry cleaner. Use with caution.

Easy Cleaner A registry cleaner. Use with caution.

AM-Deadlink Removes dead and duplicate bookmarks in most browsers.

SiSoft Sandra System Diagnostics (note only the lite version is free).

SysInternal Lots of freeware programs, too many to list here, under categories: File & Disk; Security; Networking; Processes & Threads; System Information; Miscellaneous.

As of July 18th 2006 Sysinternals has been bought out by Microsoft. This means it's likely that in the near future their freeware may no longer be freeware, so grab 'em while you can.

Graphic Editors

Printscreen A screen capture facility.

Screen Hunter A screen capture facility (note only the lite version is free).

Irfanview A graphics editor package.

The Gimp A graphics editor package. Similar to Photoshop.

Anti Spam

Mailwasher Stops Spam. Bounces unwanted e-mails straight back before it's even left the sender's server. Free version works with only one e-mail account.

Office utilities

Open Office An office suite similar to and compatible with MS Office.

Video utilities

DVD Shrink Enables you to back up your commercially purchased DVD's. DVD Shrink Tutorials

Audio utilities

Audacity An audio editing facility.

CDex Convert between audio formats, WAV, mp3 etc.

Exact Audio Copy As it says. For most exact copy of audio. Copying can be a lengthy process, but accurate.

Winamp A media player with the emphasis on audio playback. Thousands of skins available.

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
How about Dr.Web CureIt! stand alone scanner (download link at bottom of page):
http://download.drweb.com/drweb+cureit/
(Great program for people who are not running Win2k or XP.)

Another antivirus program that's getting great reviews is:
http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/
And yes, I know it's affiliated with AOL but you don't need an AOL subscription and it's supposed to be very good.

Jetico is another free firewall that works very well. I use it myself and it's a great replacement for Sygate:
http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm

Of course there's a slew of online scanners that can be used also.

Ask a Question