    start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
    Many thanks
    Andy

    Andrew Wilson, Jul 18, 2012

  2. Andrew Wilson

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 18/07/2012 6:37 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
    > Hello
    > Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
    > I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
    > from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB drive is
    > set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
    > Questions:
    > 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption and
    > just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
    > 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point how
    > would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot drive in
    > start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
    > Many thanks
    > Andy

    I'd say it would make no difference if disable to drive in Disk Manager.
    Just leave it enabled.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jul 18, 2012

  3. Andrew Wilson

    glee Guest

    > From: "Yousuf Khan" <>
    >
    >> On 18/07/2012 6:37 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
    >>> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to
    >>> clone
    >>> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB
    >>> drive is
    >>> set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
    >>> Questions:
    >>> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid
    >>> corruption and
    >>> just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
    >>> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some
    >>> point how
    >>> would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
    >>> drive in
    >>> start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
    >>> Many thanks
    >>> Andy

    >> I'd say it would make no difference if disable to drive in Disk
    >> Manager. Just leave it enabled.

    > I agree.

    Me too. I would make sure that System Restore is turned OFF for that
    drive, though.
    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Jul 18, 2012
  4. Andrew Wilson

    SC Tom Guest

    "Andrew Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
    > I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
    > from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB drive
    > is set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
    > Questions:
    > 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption
    > and just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
    > 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point
    > how would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
    > drive in start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
    > Many thanks
    > Andy

    I'm going to play devil's advocate here and disagree with the gist of what
    the others have suggested :)

    By leaving the drive connected to the rest of the computer, you are taking
    the chance of having it infected along with your system drive if you happen
    to pick up some sort of nasty somewhere.
    Another thing to consider is, if there's a lightning strike or power surge
    anywhere in your area that affects your PC, it could take out both of your
    drives, and then you'd have nothing to fall back on.
    My suggestion would be to buy an external USB/Firewire/eSATA device
    (depending on what ports you have installed on your PC), and either use the
    drive you have or a new one to create your images on. The only time it
    should be connected to your PC is when your are creating or restoring an
    image; other than that, it should be powered down and unplugged from the
    wall and the PC.

    Of course, that's just my opinion and the method I use, and others will have
    differing opinions, but that's OK. I've never lost an image yet, and can
    rely on it if I need it. If I was REALLY OC/AR, I'd have copies off-site
    like I did when I was working :)
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Jul 18, 2012
  5. "SC Tom" <> wrote in message news:ju7est$a33$...

    > "Andrew Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
    >> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
    >> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB drive
    >> is set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
    >> Questions:
    >> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption
    >> and just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
    >> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point
    >> how would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
    >> drive in start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
    >> Many thanks
    >> Andy
    >>

    > I'm going to play devil's advocate here and disagree with the gist of what
    > the others have suggested :)
    >
    > By leaving the drive connected to the rest of the computer, you are taking
    > the chance of having it infected along with your system drive if you
    > happen to pick up some sort of nasty somewhere.
    > Another thing to consider is, if there's a lightning strike or power surge
    > anywhere in your area that affects your PC, it could take out both of your
    > drives, and then you'd have nothing to fall back on.
    > My suggestion would be to buy an external USB/Firewire/eSATA device
    > (depending on what ports you have installed on your PC), and either use
    > the drive you have or a new one to create your images on. The only time it
    > should be connected to your PC is when your are creating or restoring an
    > image; other than that, it should be powered down and unplugged from the
    > wall and the PC.
    >
    > Of course, that's just my opinion and the method I use, and others will
    > have differing opinions, but that's OK. I've never lost an image yet, and
    > can rely on it if I need it. If I was REALLY OC/AR, I'd have copies
    > off-site like I did when I was working :)
    > --
    > SC Tom

    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Tom
    That's why I posed the question because I didn't know what to do for the
    best. I didn't say this at the time but I also have a smaller USB hard drive
    which I clone using Norton Ghost from time to time. This is disconnected and
    stored when the ghost is complete.
    Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....
    Thanks
    Andy

    Andrew Wilson, Jul 19, 2012
  6. Andrew Wilson

    > "SC Tom" <> wrote in message news:ju7est$a33$...
    >>

    >> "Andrew Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello
    >>> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
    >>> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
    >>> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB
    >>> drive is set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
    >>> Questions:
    >>> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption
    >>> and just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
    >>> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point
    >>> how would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
    >>> drive in start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
    >>> Many thanks
    >>> Andy
    >>>

    >> I'm going to play devil's advocate here and disagree with the gist of
    >> what the others have suggested :)
    >>
    >> By leaving the drive connected to the rest of the computer, you are
    >> taking the chance of having it infected along with your system drive if
    >> you happen to pick up some sort of nasty somewhere.
    >> Another thing to consider is, if there's a lightning strike or power
    >> surge anywhere in your area that affects your PC, it could take out both
    >> of your drives, and then you'd have nothing to fall back on.
    >> My suggestion would be to buy an external USB/Firewire/eSATA device
    >> (depending on what ports you have installed on your PC), and either use
    >> the drive you have or a new one to create your images on. The only time
    >> it should be connected to your PC is when your are creating or restoring
    >> an image; other than that, it should be powered down and unplugged from
    >> the wall and the PC.
    >>
    >> Of course, that's just my opinion and the method I use, and others will
    >> have differing opinions, but that's OK. I've never lost an image yet, and
    >> can rely on it if I need it. If I was REALLY OC/AR, I'd have copies
    >> off-site like I did when I was working :)
    >> --
    >> SC Tom
    >>

    > Thanks everyone for your comments.
    > Tom
    > That's why I posed the question because I didn't know what to do for the
    > best. I didn't say this at the time but I also have a smaller USB hard
    > drive which I clone using Norton Ghost from time to time. This is
    > disconnected and stored when the ghost is complete.
    > Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....
    > Thanks
    > Andy

    As long as you have a separate backup device, then it really doesn't matter
    what you do with the 80GB drive. As the others said, just leave it as is :)
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Jul 19, 2012
  7. Andrew Wilson

    Good Guy Guest

    On 19/07/2012 00:10, Andrew Wilson wrote:
    > Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....

    Personally I would get rid of it and buy an external USB Hard disk.
    External HDs are getting cheaper day by day and you will do yourself
    justice by getting one.

    Alternatively, get hold of a 64GB flash drive but the but the relative
    price ratio to GB won't make sense to get one for the job you want to do.

    --
    Good Guy
    Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk

    Good Guy, Jul 19, 2012
  8. Andrew Wilson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:00:07 +0100, Good Guy <>
    wrote:

    >On 19/07/2012 00:10, Andrew Wilson wrote:
    >> Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....
    >>

    >Personally I would get rid of it and buy an external USB Hard disk.
    >External HDs are getting cheaper day by day and you will do yourself
    >justice by getting one.

    I'd be happy if hard drive prices would just get back to where they
    were before the floods.

    Char Jackson, Jul 19, 2012
  9. Andrew Wilson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:13:09 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Char Jackson" <>
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:00:07 +0100, Good Guy <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Personally I would get rid of it and buy an external USB Hard disk.
    >>> External HDs are getting cheaper day by day and you will do yourself
    >>> justice by getting one.

    >> I'd be happy if hard drive prices would just get back to where they
    >> were before the floods.

    >It has given a lift in the position and sale of SSD so it's not all bad.

    Every dark cloud has a silver lining. :)

    Char Jackson, Jul 19, 2012
  10. Andrew Wilson

    glee Guest

    > From: "glee" <>
    >
    >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    >>> From: "Yousuf Khan" <>

    >>> I agree.

    >> Me too. I would make sure that System Restore is turned OFF for that
    >> drive, though.

    > I'm not sure that's neccessary. Ghost image files are data files that
    > are not subject to be in the System Restore cache.

    System Restore will still be writing to the drive regardless, if
    monitoring is on. On an old drive like this (80GB), I'd want as few
    unnecessary writes as possible.
    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Jul 19, 2012
  11. Andrew Wilson

    glee Guest

    "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:13:09 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >
    >>From: "Char Jackson" <>
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:00:07 +0100, Good Guy
    >>> <>

    >>> I'd be happy if hard drive prices would just get back to where they
    >>> were before the floods.

    >>It has given a lift in the position and sale of SSD so it's not all
    >>bad.

    > Every dark cloud has a silver lining. :)

    ...and vice versa! ;-)

    glee, Jul 19, 2012