Disabled services won't start!

Andre

I'm stumped.

I have a machine running Windows 2000 Server with SP4. It
is a remote
server which I am accessing through Terminal Services as an
Administrator.

There are a ton of entries in the System Log saying "error
7001
Service Control Manager. " Currently the Server, Computer
Browser,
IISadmin service ,RPC services are all DISABLED and I can
not enable
them! When I try to start the services I get errors like:

"System error 1058 has occured.

The service could not be started because it is disabled or
because it
has no devices associated with it"

or

"Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to
start".

I also can't open properties windows for any services to
set them to
start automatically. I can right click on the service
names, but when
I click on properties nothing happens.

What can I do to get these services started again?

Thanks in advance,
Andre B

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

What do you have in your event logs? I'd log into the server console to try
to resolve this if at all possible ....

Colin Nash [MVP]

You need to set the startup type as "Automatic" or "Manual" before you can
start the service.

Are you trying to do all of this through Terminal Services? Those are some
fairly important services and if they are disabled you may not be able to
remotely administer them. Can you log on in to the server console (i.e. at
the keyboard) ?

Do you know how they managed to get disabled?

Andre

How can I set the service to automatic? I can not open a
properties window for any service. The only way I could
set it to automatic or manual would be through the command
prompt or the registry. I've been googling all night and
haven't found out how to do that yet.

Everything I'm doing is through terminal services. I don't
have physical access to the server, however I can contact
someone who does.

Another user logged on and disabled them. they were trying
to make the server more secure by disabling unneeded
services, but obviously some of them were needed.

Thanks

Andre

I can't access details for the event. The event log
doesn't the details.

The console doesn't help, because I can't open properties
windows for any program, so I can look at in the console,
but there I can't edit the service startup method there.

Thanks

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Andre" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Disabled services won't start!
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:56:19 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications

--

Andre,

If we cannot access the properties of the services or the descriptions of the Events it normally means the RPC service is
stopped. If it is we need to restart it first. The following artilce talks about using the registry editor to change the startup type
of a service.

165748 - How to Disable a Service or Device That Prevents NT from Booting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];165748

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.