Disable HDMI/Display from terminal?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This may not be the right section, as I'm using an AndroidX86 build, but it's essentially a Linux OS so I hope one of you Linux gurus will know the answer :).

I'm putting together a touchscreen Android computer for the kitchen, which will run widgets and apps that we often use (i.e. there's a shopping one, music, recipes, calendar, etc...). However this doesn't need to be on all the time, just in the morning and evenings. I tried using Android apps to put the device to sleep and wake it up again, but there must be a bug in the AndroidX86 port as it's not possible to wake from sleep from the OS itself (requires a keypress or power button).

Alternatively, I could just turn off the monitor - as the Android PC is extremely low power. Not ideal, but a good workaround for now.

Are there any commands that I can use in the terminal which would disable/enable the HDMI output? This would put my monitor to sleep automatically, but keep the PC on for work :). I hope that most Linux commands would still work in the Android console.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Urmas, unfortunately it looks like "xset" isn't available in Marshmallow and ADB has been removed :eek:. I'm going to keep digging and see if there are any alternatives.

I may need to look at a hardware solution instead (which means I could use a PIR detector to enable the display on demand).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been struggling to disable the display/HDMI, I tried this method with no luck either- hoping it would get around the lack of xset:

"echo 0 > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/dpms"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Also tried setenv without success. I'm just documenting things here in case it helps other people, or someone stumbles across it with an answer :).

setenv video 'video=HDMI-A-1:d'

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Urmas, I've not looked too much in to that method as I don't think it can be run from the command line. Perhaps I'll need to see how easy it is to code in the SDK.

Ask a Question