DirX9.0b: "software has not passed windows logo testing for XP"

dgrrr

When I install Halo, it also tries to install DirectX
v9.0b. But I get there errors:

The software you are testing does has not passed windows
logo testing to verify its compatibility with XP. The
software will not be installed. Contact your administrator.
DirectX did not copy a required file
Installation failed

Anybody know what I should be doing?

thanks

Lorne Smith

Load up the Services applet in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and
check that the Cryptographic service is running, if it isn't, start and and
set it's startup mode to Automatic.

Lorne

Jimmy S.

Hi dgrrr,

In addition to Lorne's excellent advice to enable Cryptographic
services, if you still get that error afterwards, then:

If the problem persists, go to c:\windows\system32 and rename
the catroot2 directory to catrootold. Catroot2 might be too full.

Repairing Windows is our final option. Boot from your Windows
CD (you may have to press F12 while starting up, or change the
bootup order in your BIOS) and then follow the instructions at:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm Good luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Load up the Services applet in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and
| check that the Cryptographic service is running, if it isn't, start and and
| set it's startup mode to Automatic.
|
| Lorne
|
| | > When I install Halo, it also tries to install DirectX
| > v9.0b. But I get there errors:
| >
| > The software you are testing does has not passed windows
| > logo testing to verify its compatibility with XP. The
| > software will not be installed. Contact your administrator.
| > DirectX did not copy a required file
| > Installation failed
| >
| > Anybody know what I should be doing?
| >
| > thanks

Jimmy S.

My pleasure Lorne. :) The catroot2 problem is a lot less
frequent on Win XP installs than it is on Win Me ones. ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| Doh! I knew I forgot to add something! Thanks jimmy :)
|
| Lorne
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi dgrrr,
| >
| > In addition to Lorne's excellent advice to enable Cryptographic
| > services, if you still get that error afterwards, then:
| >
| > If the problem persists, go to c:\windows\system32 and rename
| > the catroot2 directory to catrootold. Catroot2 might be too full.
| >
| > Repairing Windows is our final option. Boot from your Windows
| > CD (you may have to press F12 while starting up, or change the
| > bootup order in your BIOS) and then follow the instructions at:
| > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm Good luck! :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | check that the Cryptographic service is running, if it isn't, start and
| and
| > | set it's startup mode to Automatic.
| > |
| > | Lorne