    S.Joseph Guest

    What exactly is the difference between "power user" and "administrator" in
    the user settings?

    S.Joseph, Nov 18, 2004

  2. S.Joseph

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Wesley Vogel, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Why not open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security
    Policy > Local Policies > User Rights Management and take a look?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Nov 19, 2004
  4. S.Joseph

    S.Joseph Guest

    Your reply helped. I can see more specifically the user rights for each
    specific group. One more follow up question:

    I would like to lock down users in my company to "Users" group instead of
    administrator but it prevents a certain program from working properly for
    them. This program reads and writes word files on a network share. Which
    specific 'policy' under 'local security settings' can I add the User group
    to in order to possibly get the program to work for a "User"?

    S.Joseph, Nov 22, 2004
  5. S.Joseph wrote:
    > Your reply helped. I can see more specifically the user rights for each
    > specific group. One more follow up question:
    >
    > I would like to lock down users in my company to "Users" group instead of
    > administrator but it prevents a certain program from working properly for
    > them. This program reads and writes word files on a network share. Which
    > specific 'policy' under 'local security settings' can I add the User group
    > to in order to possibly get the program to work for a "User"?

    To ensure that the userds have the necessary permissions to the data
    files on the network share, you'll need to consult the network
    administrator. If the issue revolves around the users'
    permissions/privileges on their individual workstations, the following
    may help:

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick. It
    is sometimes also necessary to grant users elevated privileges to the
    registry keys of the application.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: