Diff tool for VBA projects

B

berimbao78

Hi,
Is there a (nice)tool to compare all the modules... between 2 different
versions? just like we can do with WinMerge?
Thanks

D

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could export each module to text files and combine the modules into
one giant text file (do both projects in the same order!).

Then use WinMerge to compare.

Reaction score
Diffing VBA projects was a headache for me as well, so I put together an application called VBADiff. Getting a nice clean interaction with the VBA embedded in a file took me a lot of time so I'm afraid I have to make this a paid app, but it's got a nice long trial period. Hopefully it will help other VBA developers like me!

http://www.technicana.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131

Chris Spicer

Reaction score
I've had a look at VBADiff a while ago and when I looked at it, it didn't do the compare work itself, but delegated it to a third party package. So you have to download and install VBADiff and then another general text compare package used by it.

I prefer to use DiffEngineX. It compares all the cells of your spreadsheets and also, if you turn on the "Compare Visual Basic Code / Macros" checkbox on DIffEngineX's Options dialog and "Trust Access To the VBA project object model" (in Excel Options->Trust Center->Trust Center Settings...->Macro Settings ), the Visual Basic modules as well.

DiffEngineX was written especially to compare Excel spreadsheets properly. VBADiff is a kludge, as it delegates all the work to another application you have to buy and install yourself.

Instructions on how to diff VBA projects can be found at

https://www.florencesoft.com/diff-compare-excel-vba-visual-basic-for-applications.html

Reaction score
Hi Marisa,

VbaDiff does indeed integrate and use third party diff tools. I took the view that developers normally already have their own favourite diff tools, that are way better than anything I could write!

As VbaDiff integrates with both free and commercial diff tools, you can use VbaDiff without incurring any cost. Just download WinMerge like the original poster suggests.

Chris
Technicana Ltd

P.S. Are you the Marisa Poulain who's Sales Director at DiffEngine X? That's a great tool too.

Ask a Question