dialog box not showing up

Discussion in 'Windows XP Photos' started by Guest, Feb 4, 2004.

    When I plug in my digital camera to my computer --a dialog box would always show up and ask me what I want to do with my pictures---slideshow--copy to hard drive-view--or no action at all. This box for whatever reason is not showing up anymore---and I want it to. How do I get this box back. Please help me

    Guest, Feb 4, 2004

    Yves Alarie Guest

    Different ways to try to repair the Autoplay window for downloading from
    either a camera or card reader.

    Go from steps I to V, although step V may not be needed.

    I. Connect your camera to your computer, power it on and make sure you have
    pictures on your memory card. Make sure your batteries are good or better
    yet, use your AC adapter if your camera came with one. If you are trying
    with a card reader, just connect it with a memory card inserted and with
    pictures on the memory card.

    Click on My Computer and look under Device with Removable storage. Your
    camera will be listed there and a drive letter will be assigned to it
    (something like H, G, etc.) You will use this drive letter in a step below.
    If you do not see your camera listed there you will need to repair your USB
    connection or you are on a network and the network drive is Z and XP cannot
    assign a drive letter to your camera so you will need to take care of this
    first. The steps below will not work if XP cannot assign a drive letter for
    your camera.

    II. Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the textbox:
    REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL
    and press Enter
    Note that there is a space between ...32 and SHI...
    This will take a few seconds to run.

    III. Go to the following site:
    http://www.bigblackglasses.com/staff/downloads/autofix.exe

    and download the autofix.exe file in one of your folder. Once done, double
    click on this file. A window will open. Follow the directions on the screen.

    Once done, turn off the camera and reboot.

    IV. Power the camera on, wait 10-15 seconds for XP to recognize it, you
    should hear some beeping sound and the window should now open giving you the
    option of downloading photos from the camera.

    V. You may have to set the options for this window.
    Click on My Computer, your camera should be listed there under Devices with
    Removable Storage. Right click on it and click on Properties. In the opening
    window, click on the Autoplay tab and under Select, scroll to Pictures to
    select it. Select the button Prompt me...

    You can also download the autofix.exe file from here if the above site is
    not available.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en

    Here are previous fixes at the Microsoft FAQ page.

    Go this site:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/faq/default.asp

    Fourth item from the top of the page. Two fixes are presented. One is to
    edit the registry, the second one is to download Tweak UI and do the repair
    with it. If you are comfortable editing the registry, go ahead.

    If not, download Tweak UI.

    Once you download the Tweak UI file in one of your folders, double click on
    it to install it.

    Once this is done, click on Start and click on All Programs. Look for Power
    Toys for Windows XP. Click on it and Tweak UI will be listed. Click on it to
    get it started.

    A window will open. Click on the + sign next to My Computer, then click on
    the + sign next to Autoplay. Then, click on Types. Check the boxes for
    Autoplay Drive Types and click OK.

    Yves Alarie, Feb 4, 2004