dhcp rights (dhcp users)

sylvain B

Hello,

I have 4 dhcp servers in 1 domain.
3 of them are DC. The other one is a windows 2003 EE but isn't a DC.
I add a group (opera) to the group "dhcp users".
Now, the members of opera can see the dhcp configuration of the 3 DC
but can't see the dchp configuration of the windows 2003 server
(access denied).

What can i do to resolv this problem ?

Thanks

Kevin Bowersock

Couple of things to check.
If you take a look at :

303540 HOW TO: Appoint an Administrator for DHCP Server Services in Windows
2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303540

You will see that with a member server you have add them to the DHCP
Administrators LOCAL group on that server.

Not sure why you have 4 of them.
I am guessing that maybe you have 1 at each site?
Most people use 2 DHCP servers with the 30/70 rule.
This gives redundancy and fault tolerance.

A few other things to note is to turn on the "netbios helper" address on
the routers for your remote subnets. This will allow a DHCP server at the
primary site to issue addresses to ALL of your subnets without having to
have a dhcp server at each site.

You may want to take a look at this white paper for more info.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810735

Enjoy!

(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights