Desperate for Compaq Proliant 3000 advice

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware' started by Jethro, May 26, 2004.

  1. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

    Hi all,

    this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
    get the only server in a small business Up and running.

    Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array

    A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
    started rebuilding.

    Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen. Gets
    halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".

    Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
    Tried repair window - same

    Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
    fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.

    From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
    wrongly configured.

    One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone beep.
    When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it satrts
    again.

    Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
    running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
    providers).

    Thanks in advance

    Jethro

    Jethro, May 26, 2004

  2. Jethro

    PHOENIX03 Guest

    > this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
    > get the only server in a small business Up and running.
    >
    > Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
    >
    > A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
    > started rebuilding.
    >
    > Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen.

    Gets
    > halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
    >
    > Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
    > Tried repair window - same
    >
    > Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
    > fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
    >
    > From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
    > wrongly configured.
    >
    > One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone

    beep.
    > When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it

    satrts
    > again.
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
    > running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
    > providers).

    Hi, Jethro here (different m/c !)

    After installing the SmartStart utils, the newer 2K install now crashes !

    I managed to get into the recovery console and did a chkdsk ... it spent 4
    hours at 50% ... I wasn't sure if it had hung ... I decided to crash out
    (if it needs that long I'll set it of over night) ....

    PHOENIX03, May 26, 2004

  3. Jethro

    micm Guest

    Jethro () wrote:
    (in message c91kao$c0h$)

    > Hi all,
    >
    > this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with
    > trying to get the only server in a small business Up and running.
    >
    > Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
    >
    > A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
    > started rebuilding.
    >
    > Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the
    > spashscreen. Gets halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device
    > not accesible".
    >
    > Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
    > Tried repair window - same
    >
    > Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which
    > works fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
    >
    > From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is
    > somehow wrongly configured.
    >
    > One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone
    > beep. When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes
    > down, it satrts again.
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows
    > up & running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to
    > the service providers).
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Jethro

    Are you *positive* the RAID array rebuilt? Is there a pre-windows-boot raid
    bios you can get into to check the state or the arrays?

    Mike.

    micm, May 26, 2004
  4. Jethro

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <d85tc.3338$>, micm
    <> writes
    >Are you *positive* the RAID array rebuilt? Is there a pre-windows-boot raid
    >bios you can get into to check the state or the arrays?

    You can check this from the smart start CD.

    --
    Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp, May 26, 2004
  5. Jethro

    G.Beat Guest

    "Jethro" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
    > get the only server in a small business Up and running.
    >
    > Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
    >
    > A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
    > started rebuilding.
    >
    > Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen.
    > Gets
    > halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
    >
    > Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
    > Tried repair window - same
    >
    > Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
    > fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
    >
    > From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
    > wrongly configured.
    >
    > One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone
    > beep.
    > When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it
    > satrts
    > again.
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
    > running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
    > providers).
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Jethro

    Be positive that your RAID controller is functioning properly (has not
    failed).
    This is often overlooked and I have seen your symptoms -- to eventually
    discover a controller
    failure.

    gb

    G.Beat, May 27, 2004
  6. On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:26:00 +0000 (UTC), "Jethro"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
    >get the only server in a small business Up and running.
    >
    >Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
    >
    >A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
    >started rebuilding.
    >
    >Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen. Gets
    >halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
    >
    >Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
    >Tried repair window - same
    >
    >Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
    >fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
    >
    >From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
    >wrongly configured.
    >
    >One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone beep.
    >When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it satrts
    >again.
    >
    >Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
    >running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
    >providers).
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Jethro

    Ask over in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers......a few real good
    Compaq help folks there............a more direct line for a Compaq
    problem

    Big Bob Smith, Jun 3, 2004