Desknote Issues?

Reaction score
I'm from the US. Why is that like looking for a Desknote (laptop hybrib) sorta like the A535+ for example nothing is available in the US? All the pries are in other currencys E, etc. Is the A 535+ too new? Not too popular inthe US?

Anyway I have a A929 model Desknote right now. The power supply AC adapter has broken finally. Is there anyway to get just the AC adapter fixed? Or just getting a new one is probably cheapper?

http://store.yahoo.com/newtech/a9deacada9ac1.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42167&item=6731440165&rd=1

The guy on ebay is cheaper right now but no reply to my email yet and no warentee. Or maybe the DC adapter and I got a converter to AC but sonds risky.

I'll stick with the AC but has anybody used these replacement ones?

I'm not sure how good (reliable) these LITEON replacement ones are.

Tanks,
ivinjay

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Lite-On have a good reputation here in the UK/Europe. :thumb:

I can't help with the rest of your question, sorry.

Reaction score
It arrived yesterday and it works great. Just gets very hot very fast.

But still can't find anywhere to buy an A535+ online in the US.

Reaction score
[font="]Hey you guys
I’m not new here, a few years back I had the old power plug meltdown issue with my 928a Desknote and conferred with some of you.
I shipped the 928 to CA and ECS repaired it for $90…..haven’t had a problem since...until now that it is, but it really shouldn’t be a problem because all it is the CMOS battery. Why is that a problem? Because the battery is inaccessible unless one wants to disassemble the keyboard and lord knows what else.
Am I correct in assuming that this is not a job I should attempt myself?
I put in a new HD, but a reasonably smart monkey can do that and I’m smart enough to know that taking apart a “Laptop” is not for the squeamish.
Any suggestions?
t[/font]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not knowing the ins and outs of a desknote I can't really comment..Dismatling a laptop is sure not for the faint hearted..Most and I use the word loosely modern day laptops have tops that clip on, so to remove the keyboard its just a matter of uncliping, which beleive me can be a right b*tch to do..I'd say take the chance though..Just be careful as you go..If something doesn't want to come apart one way, don't force it, sit back and rethink..For a laptop thats a good few years old its probably not wirth sending to a store just to have the cmos battery changed..Good luck...

Reaction score
Thanks for the expeditious reply Madx.
In a perfect world one would hope that a battery that is destined to fail would be a tad easier to replace.

Somewhere on this board is a post that goes into great detail about dismantling a Desknote. I’ll find it, but I remember it being a lot of screws and even un-soldering/soldering. Not fun.
I’ll report back
Thanks again
t

Reaction score
I'll have a lookaround and see if I can find the post, soldering and unsoldering is not for the aint hearted again, and often leeds to a broken heart for the in experienced hand

Reaction score

attachment.php

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-578-37.php #369

the battery is not really accessible without removing the top cover and the metal shielding under the top cover.

When you know how-to, it's not a difficult thing, just a lot of work because of the multitude of screws. Risk is really only not to apply the proper length screws in the proper positions. This can result in the screws causing little protrusions up in the plastic of the top cover.

Remove DVD (necessary) and HDD (optional if you don't want to take the board out of the bottom cover)

1) put the a928 upside down
2) unscrew and remove three screws that fixate the DVD (above type sticker); remember which screw came from which hole; remove DVD by sliding it sidewards out
3) open HDD compartment and take HDD out; stick 2 screws to HDD cover with scotch tape
4) open DDR memory compartment, stick screws to cover, remove metal cover, remove DDR unit, remove bottom shield and stick the screw that holds it with tape to the shield
5) loosen 8 screws around the perimetry, three screws in the edge where the DVD was, and three screws where the DDR memory shield was. Don't take the screws out of the holes but put pieces of Scotchtape on the openings so the screws cannot fall out.
6) put the a928 in normal position and take the keyboard out: gently pull right bottom tip of keyboard up and one by one press towards the front the little click-fits that you find down from the down-arrow, microsoft key, alt key, and ctrl key; gently pull a little towards the front the brown flatcable fastener and pull the flat cable out; remove keyboard and the shield underneath.
7) remove the hinge covers by pulling back and front outward so they unclick and lift them up. Remove plastic LED cover
8) unscrew power-key panel and stick its screws to it; unplug it and mark orientation of the plug vs. receptacle.
9) pull cables of the LCD after having marked their orientation.
10) unscrew 4 LCD hinge screws and put the LCD in safe place with its screws
11) unscrew and remove the 9 or 10 screws that hold the top cover; one may be under warranty sticker; tape them to the top cover oriented with were they came from.
12) remove the touchpad flatcable from its socket like you did the keyboard one
13) now lift the cover a bit and pull out the microphone plug; note orientation; remove top cover
14) remove 4 screws along front of metal cover, one in top right corner and one in top edge metal frame and stick them to the shield cover such that you know what came from where; pull up the metal frame

Now, after unscrewing 43 screws ...., you'll see the CMOS battery. I.m.h.o. it was a design mistake to put it there, so difficult to access.

Good luck

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-578-11.php # 105

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-578-23.php #230

Last edited: