    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Tony Cooper

    CSM1 Guest

    "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I need a new scanner, but I need one that will provide some depth of
    > field. I have a printer/scanner that works well enough with photos
    > and flat material, but I need one that will produce good scans of
    > objects like coins.
    >
    > I can't figure out how to look at the specifications of a scanner and
    > pull out anything about depth of field. The ones available in the
    > stores near here are the Epson 4180 and Epson 3590. I'd rather buy
    > locally than off the web, but I'll go either way.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Tony Cooper
    > Orlando, FL

    They don't publish specs for Depth of Field. You have two choices of
    scanners, A CIS and a CCD.

    The Contact Image Sensor (CIS) has zero depth of field.

    The CCD has a lens and some Depth of Field. How much DOF varies from scanner
    to scanner. Coins are no problem for most CCD scanners that have a single
    light source.

    The Epson 3590 is a CCD, the 4180 is a CCD but not a current model. (The
    store has old stock).

    Epson USA web site for Scanners.
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-8172

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Feb 16, 2006

  3. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 04:36:03 GMT, "CSM1" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >>I need a new scanner, but I need one that will provide some depth of
    >> field. I have a printer/scanner that works well enough with photos
    >> and flat material, but I need one that will produce good scans of
    >> objects like coins.
    >>
    >> I can't figure out how to look at the specifications of a scanner and
    >> pull out anything about depth of field. The ones available in the
    >> stores near here are the Epson 4180 and Epson 3590. I'd rather buy
    >> locally than off the web, but I'll go either way.
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    >> Tony Cooper
    >> Orlando, FL

    >They don't publish specs for Depth of Field. You have two choices of
    >scanners, A CIS and a CCD.
    >
    >The Contact Image Sensor (CIS) has zero depth of field.
    >
    >The CCD has a lens and some Depth of Field. How much DOF varies from scanner
    >to scanner. Coins are no problem for most CCD scanners that have a single
    >light source.

    Trying to figure out which brand and model has the best depth of
    field, though, is the problem.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Tony Cooper

    Norm Dresner Guest

    >I need a new scanner, but I need one that will provide some depth of
    > field. I have a printer/scanner that works well enough with photos
    > and flat material, but I need one that will produce good scans of
    > objects like coins.

    FWIW, I've used my HP ScanJet 4570c to do scans of HO-scale model trains.
    Depth of details runs about 1/8" to 3/16" and focus is no problem at all.
    Exactly what this means for other scanners is probably problematic, but it
    wasn't a particularly expensive scanner which was initially bought to scan
    documents and a few 35mm slides and negatives.

    Norm

    Norm Dresner, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Tony Cooper

    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 04:36:03 GMT, "CSM1" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >>>I need a new scanner, but I need one that will provide some depth of
    >>> field. I have a printer/scanner that works well enough with photos
    >>> and flat material, but I need one that will produce good scans of
    >>> objects like coins.
    >>>
    >>> I can't figure out how to look at the specifications of a scanner and
    >>> pull out anything about depth of field. The ones available in the
    >>> stores near here are the Epson 4180 and Epson 3590. I'd rather buy
    >>> locally than off the web, but I'll go either way.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> Tony Cooper
    >>> Orlando, FL

    >>They don't publish specs for Depth of Field. You have two choices of
    >>scanners, A CIS and a CCD.
    >>
    >>The Contact Image Sensor (CIS) has zero depth of field.
    >>
    >>The CCD has a lens and some Depth of Field. How much DOF varies from
    >>scanner
    >>to scanner. Coins are no problem for most CCD scanners that have a single
    >>light source.

    > Trying to figure out which brand and model has the best depth of
    > field, though, is the problem.

    Depth of field may vary among scanners of the same model.

    DOF is a function to the focal distance of the lens and the aperture of the
    lens. Just like it is in cameras.

    This page is a good tutorial on Depth of Field:
    http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/950/depth-of-field.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Tony Cooper

    Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote:
    > I need a new scanner, but I need one that will provide some depth of
    > field. I have a printer/scanner that works well enough with photos
    > and flat material, but I need one that will produce good scans of
    > objects like coins.
    >
    > I can't figure out how to look at the specifications of a scanner and
    > pull out anything about depth of field. The ones available in the
    > stores near here are the Epson 4180 and Epson 3590. I'd rather buy
    > locally than off the web, but I'll go either way.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Tony Cooper
    > Orlando, FL

    The recent Epsons (4870 and on?) were noted for dropping any sort of
    focus mechanism in favor of increased DOF, so as to capture both
    on-the-glass reflectives and above-the-glass film. My 4870 had no
    trouble resolving a coin or the bottom of my camera. My scanner's a
    bit soft, though, although this might be by design too.

    The photo-i.co.uk website often includes images of scanned 3d objects
    in scanner reviews. Might be useful to you.

    false_dmitrii

    , Feb 17, 2006