    least 64 virgins in heaven.
    Thank you,
    Duane Meador

    Duane Meador, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Duane Meador

    Nicholas Guest

    Open XP's "Help and Support" and type: DELTREE , and hit enter.
    Click on the topic: "New ways to do familiar tasks".

    --
    Nicholas

    Nicholas, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Duane Meador

    sqr Guest

    use erase /?

    --
    sqr
    Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

    sqr, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Duane Meador

    LVTravel Guest

    You can now use RD (Remove Directory) with the /s switch to remove
    subdirectories and files. Click Start, Run, Type CMD and hit Enter. Type
    RD /? and hit enter for the switches available to this command.

    LVTravel, Jul 10, 2003
  5. >"Nicholas" <> wrote:
    >Open XP's "Help and Support" and type: DELTREE , and hit enter.
    >Click on the topic: "New ways to do familiar tasks".

    I'm not the original poster. When I entered deltree in the main box
    for Help and Support, nothing came up. Then I went to the Index, and
    the listings stopped at delete.

    Where are you looking? (The solution to the deltree question has been
    posted - I'm interested in the broader topic of "new ways to do
    familiar tasks".) I have HomeXP, if there's a difference in the H&S
    area.

    Maureen Goldman, Jul 11, 2003

  6. >> >"Nicholas" <> wrote:
    >> >Open XP's "Help and Support" and type: DELTREE , and hit enter.
    >> >Click on the topic: "New ways to do familiar tasks".

    >> Maureen Goldman
    >> I'm not the original poster. When I entered deltree in the main box
    >> for Help and Support, nothing came up. Then I went to the Index, and
    >> the listings stopped at delete.
    >>
    >> Where are you looking? (The solution to the deltree question has been
    >> posted - I'm interested in the broader topic of "new ways to do
    >> familiar tasks".) I have HomeXP, if there's a difference in the H&S
    >> area.

    >>>Donald McDaniel <> wrote:

    >Maureen, you have to enter the text Nicolas showed: That is: "DELTREE"
    >(all caps). Then click on "New ways to do do familiar tasks". In the
    >information this brings up, will be a Subject heading "Unavailable MSDOS
    >commands", "deltree" being one of them, with the following notation:

    Thanks for your reply. Honestly, there's nothing like that. Caps or no
    caps, the results for DELTREE are exactly as I wrote earlier -
    nothing..

    I ran a systemwide Find for the text "new ways to do familiar things".
    Other than this newsgroup exchange, I came up with two .hhk files
    under c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\indices. Since this is apparently
    supposed to open in a part of the Search and Help area that isn't
    evident to me, I don't know whether to go from here.

    Maureen Goldman, Jul 12, 2003
  7. Rmdir (rd)
    Removes (that is, deletes) a directory.

    Syntax
    rmdir [Drive:]Path [/s] [/q]

    rd [Drive:]Path [/s] [/q]

    Parameters
    [Drive:]Path
    Specifies the location and name of the directory that you want to delete.
    /s
    Removes the specified directory and all subdirectories including any
    files. Use /s to remove a tree.
    /q
    Runs rmdir in quiet mode. Deletes directories without confirmation.
    /?
    Displays help at the command prompt.
    Remarks
    a.. Using rmdir at the Recovery Console
    The rmdir command, with different parameters, is available from the
    Recovery Console.

    b.. Cannot delete directory with hidden or system files
    You cannot delete a directory that contains files, including hidden or
    system files. If you attempt to do so, the following message appears:

    The directory not empty

    Use the dir command to list hidden and system files, and the attrib
    command to remove hidden and system attributes from files. For more
    information, see Related Topics.

    c.. Using the backslash character with the path parameter
    If you insert a backslash (\) before the first directory name in path, the
    directory is treated as a subdirectory of the root directory, regardless of
    your current directory. If you do not insert a backslash before the first
    directory name in path, the directory is treated as a subdirectory of the
    current directory.

    d.. Deleting the current directory
    You cannot use rmdir to delete the current directory. You must first
    change to a different directory (not a subdirectory of the current
    directory) and then use rmdir with a path. If you attempt to delete the
    current directory, the following message appears:

    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
    process.

    Examples
    To delete a directory named \User\Smith, first ensure that the directory is
    empty. To do this, type:

    dir \user\smith /a

    Only the "." and ".." symbols should display.

    Then, from any directory except \User\Smith, type:

    rmdir \user\smith

    To delete the directory \User and all of the subdirectories and files, type:

    rmdir /s \user

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 12, 2003
  8. Duane Meador

    Nicholas Guest

    New ways to do familiar tasks
    https://www.microsoft.com/technet/t...t/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/dos_diffs.asp

    --
    Nicholas

    Nicholas, Jul 12, 2003
  9. In article <>,
    says...

    > >> Thanks for your reply. Honestly, there's nothing like that. Caps or no
    > >> caps, the results for DELTREE are exactly as I wrote earlier -
    > >> nothing..

    > >> Donald McDaniel <> wrote:

    > >Do you perhaps have Windows XP Home Edition? Anyway, deltree is no
    > >longer supported under XP. Use "rmdir /s" instead.

    > Yes, I do have XP Home. I was most interested in the article mentioned
    > about doing familiar tasks in different ways with XP, not in deltree
    > specifically. If the article isn't available in Search on my system,
    > well, I guess that explains why not and I appreciate your clearing up
    > the mystery. I'm sure it won't be difficult to find something similar
    > elsewhere.

    Evidently, the reason must be the version of XP you are using, not the
    case of the search text entered, since entering the search text
    "deltree", or "DELTREE" returns the same results under Windows XP
    Professional.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Post All replies to the Newsgroup, so that all may be informed

    Donald McDaniel, Jul 12, 2003
  10. Maureen Goldman, Jul 13, 2003
  11. Duane Meador

    jkubik

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    All this seems fine but I haven't found replacement to this command:

    deltree *

    wchich i used to delete all contents without deleting directory
    eg. deleting temp dir

    jkubik, Dec 13, 2007