    How do I track down something like this?

    Thanks,

    Earle

    Earle Horton, Jul 22, 2008

  2. Earle Horton

    Karl Snooks Guest

    Earle,
    Start | Control Panel |
    in either Hardware and Sound or in System and Maintenance or in Mobile PC,
    select Power Options

    Shawn has a nice explanation on using the Power Options in a Vistax64 forum
    tutorial, just a second, let's see if i've got the link somewhere--

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

    start there. Each of his tutorials have links to other tutorial which may
    be directed precisely at your problem.

    Karl

    Karl Snooks, Jul 22, 2008

  3. Earle Horton

    Earle Horton Guest

    This is not a sleep mode problem. It is a failure to shut down from Start,
    Shut Down.

    Thanks anyway.

    Earle

    Earle Horton, Jul 22, 2008
  4. Earle Horton

    kevpan815 Guest

    Re-Format Your Computer And Install Open Source Linux Ubuntu 8.04 Long Term
    Support, And/Or Open Source Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 2, Just FYI. I Remain
    Very Proud 2 Call Myself Alias #2, Also Just FYI.

    kevpan815, Jul 23, 2008
  5. What a stupid response. NOBODY wants to use that piece of shit Ubuntu. It
    is FREE and worthless. Only idiots use Ubuntu. Hello Alias and Kevpan815.

    Imposter Investigations, Jul 23, 2008
  6. Earle Horton

    Earle Horton Guest

    "glatzfront" <> wrote in message

    > Earle Horton;783266 Wrote:
    >> Since I installed Vista SP1, my Dell Inspiron 1501 won't shut off.
    >> Screen
    >> goes dark and stops responding to user input, but power indicator on
    >> hinge
    >> stays on and unit stays warm. I have to press the power button for
    >> several
    >> seconds to get the computer to shut off. This is the only way I can get
    >> it
    >> to start up again too. It does not appear to be asleep, but rather
    >> stuck in
    >> some exit routine. If I enable the onboard wireless adapter, the
    >> wireless
    >> light stays on too.
    >>
    >> How do I track down something like this?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Earle

    > Try using the System Configuration Utility, Diagnostic/Selective
    > startup. Help is available in the utility.

    I started the Dell up in Diagnostic mode, essential services only, and it
    still failed to power down. Funny, Restart works normally. Computer passes
    ROM diagnostics and XP booted from another partition shuts down without a
    problem. System Restore says, "No restore points have been created on your
    computer's system disk." even though I created one right before installing
    SP1. I managed to create a restore point just now, but it is the only one
    visible.

    Earle

    Earle Horton, Jul 23, 2008
  7. Earle Horton

    > Earle Horton;784245 Wrote:
    >> "glatzfront" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...> > >

    >> I started the Dell up in Diagnostic mode, essential services only,
    >> and it
    >> still failed to power down. Funny, Restart works normally. Computer
    >> passes
    >> ROM diagnostics and XP booted from another partition shuts down
    >> without a
    >> problem. System Restore says, "No restore points have been created on
    >> your
    >> computer's system disk." even though I created one right before
    >> installing
    >> SP1. I managed to create a restore point just now, but it is the only
    >> one
    >> visible.
    >>
    >> Earle

    > Run the disk check, might as well defrag while your at it.
    >
    > Will it shut down from safe mode?
    >
    > Check the event viewer for errors.

    System powers down in Safe Mode. Running disk check now. Disk check
    reports nothing remarkable. Reboot Normally, no relevant errors in Event
    Log, system shuts down now. Go figure. Well now I've trained myself to
    look at the power indicator before putting the laptop in the carrying case.

    Thanks!

    Earle

    Earle Horton, Jul 23, 2008