Dell Dimension Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Ali, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Ali

    Ali Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Dell Dimension 3000 only a year old. It suddenly died, meaning no
    power what so ever.
    Opened up the side panel, connected the power cord, a green LED comes ups on
    the motherboard. Pressing the power button on, nothing happens. No Power!

    Installed a new 400W PSU. Nothing happens. Same result with green LED on
    on the motherboard but no power.

    One strange thing I noticed ! I removed the CMOS battery, and the system
    powered up. the fan and hard drive etc. starts spinning. Tried the same
    (no CMOS battery in the motherboard) with old PSU and system powers up.
    Got a new CMOS battery, but same results.

    Do not know where to go from here.......

    any ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ali, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Ali wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 3000 only a year old. It suddenly died, meaning no
    > power what so ever.
    > Opened up the side panel, connected the power cord, a green LED comes ups on
    > the motherboard. Pressing the power button on, nothing happens. No Power!
    >
    > Installed a new 400W PSU. Nothing happens. Same result with green LED on
    > on the motherboard but no power.
    >
    > One strange thing I noticed ! I removed the CMOS battery, and the system
    > powered up. the fan and hard drive etc. starts spinning. Tried the same
    > (no CMOS battery in the motherboard) with old PSU and system powers up.
    > Got a new CMOS battery, but same results.
    >
    > Do not know where to go from here.......
    >
    > any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Plug the front panel switch in. No kidding. It's the one that's bright blue.

    hih,
    poly-p man

    Poly-poly man, Jul 10, 2006

  3. Ali

    Ali Guest

    The Front Panel switch is already plugged in. That does not make any sense.
    The Computer powers up without the CMOS battery and there is NO POWER if
    you insert the CMOS battery ( even a new one). Do you think its a faulty
    motherboard ?

    Ali, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Ali

    pen Guest

    "Ali" <> wrote in message
    > The Front Panel switch is already plugged in. That does not make any
    > sense. The Computer powers up without the CMOS battery and there is
    > NO POWER if you insert the CMOS battery ( even a new one). Do you
    > think its a faulty motherboard ?
    >

    > "Poly-poly man" <> wrote in message
    >> Ali wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 only a year old. It suddenly died,
    >>> meaning no power what so ever.
    >>> Opened up the side panel, connected the power cord, a green LED
    >>> comes ups on the motherboard. Pressing the power button on, nothing
    >>> happens. No Power!
    >>>
    >>> Installed a new 400W PSU. Nothing happens. Same result with green
    >>> LED on on the motherboard but no power.
    >>>
    >>> One strange thing I noticed ! I removed the CMOS battery, and the
    >>> system powered up. the fan and hard drive etc. starts spinning.
    >>> Tried the same (no CMOS battery in the motherboard) with old PSU and
    >>> system powers up.
    >>> Got a new CMOS battery, but same results.
    >>>
    >>> Do not know where to go from here.......
    >>>
    >>> any ideas would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> Plug the front panel switch in. No kidding. It's the one that's
    >> bright blue.
    >>
    >> hih,
    >> poly-p man

    Try in a Dell group. Maybe someone there has heard of this.
    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell is one such.

    pen, Jul 10, 2006