Windows XP Deleteing folders with no names

Reaction score
Using Sonic's MyDVD 5.2. When copying a DVD to the hard disc it creates a folder wherever you specify to put the DVD files. However, this folder has no name and any attempt to move or delete the folder results in the message : Cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source file or disk. I've tried del tree, safe mode, regsvr32 /shmedia.dkk (whatever that is, recommended by HP) and trying to use taskmanager. I've also tried Norton utilitiles. Anyone have any options? Does it seem I will have to go into the registry, and if so, what program will assist a nonexpert type like myself. Many thanks to all

Reaction score
Found my own solution

The key to deleting these types of files and folders is to find their real name, and the way to do that is to run cmd and then dir /x. This brings up the filename in the old DOS manner of truncating windows file and folder names. From there you can delete as desired.

Ask a Question