    What I want to ba able to do is delete an item from a folder and have it
    automatically move to the Deleted Folder (not cross out the item).
    Thanks for any help.

    JoeP, May 8, 2009

  2. JoeP

    Gordon Guest

    "JoeP" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In Outlook 2007 when I delete a message it only crosses out the message
    > and
    > does not move the message into my delete folder. As soon as I click on
    > another folder in the Navigation Pane it deletes the message for good (it
    > does not move into the Deleted folder).
    > What I want to ba able to do is delete an item from a folder and have it
    > automatically move to the Deleted Folder (not cross out the item).
    > Thanks for any help.

    Presumably you have an IMAP email account. That's what IMAP does because it
    mirrors the folders on the mail server. You can't change that.
    Just hide the messages marked for deletion in your View.

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, May 8, 2009

  3. JoeP

    VanguardLH Guest

    JoeP wrote:

    > In Outlook 2007 when I delete a message it only crosses out the message and
    > does not move the message into my delete folder. As soon as I click on
    > another folder in the Navigation Pane it deletes the message for good (it
    > does not move into the Deleted folder).
    > What I want to ba able to do is delete an item from a folder and have it
    > automatically move to the Deleted Folder (not cross out the item).
    > Thanks for any help.

    That's how IMAP works. You delete the local copy but the server copy
    won't get deleted until the next sync (i.e., when you poll your IMAP
    account the next time). Until then, the red-lined item reminds you that
    you elected to delete that item (which you could undo before the next
    mail poll). If you don't want to wait until the mail poll to do the
    sync, use the Purge function (which does a sync). Purge forces an
    immediate sync rather than waiting until the next scheduled mail poll.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP100804201033.aspx

    If you don't want to navigate the menus to get at Purge, add it as a
    button on a toolbar. If you're only concern is that you have to see
    these red-lined items then follow the instructions at the above link to
    hide those items.

    There is an option to perform an automatic Purge when you change folders
    (also mentioned in the above article). This will increase the number of
    mail polls that Outlook performs to the mail server. Every time you
    switch to another folder (and when online), Outlook will have to sync
    (by sending a purge command) with the mail server.

    VanguardLH, May 8, 2009
  4. JoeP

    Rick Guest

    On May 8, 4:34 pm, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    > JoeP wrote:
    > > In Outlook 2007 when I delete a message it only crosses out the messageand
    > > does not move the message into my delete folder.  As soon as I click on
    > > another folder in the Navigation Pane it deletes the message for good (it
    > > does not move into the Deleted folder).
    > > What I want to ba able to do is delete an item from a folder and have it
    > > automatically move to the Deleted Folder (not cross out the item).
    > > Thanks for any help.

    > That's how IMAP works.  You delete the local copy but the server copy
    > won't get deleted until the next sync (i.e., when you poll your IMAP
    > account the next time).  Until then, the red-lined item reminds you that
    > you elected to delete that item (which you could undo before the next
    > mail poll).  If you don't want to wait until the mail poll to do the
    > sync, use the Purge function (which does a sync).  Purge forces an
    > immediate sync rather than waiting until the next scheduled mail poll.
    >
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP100804201033.aspx
    >
    > If you don't want to navigate the menus to get at Purge, add it as a
    > button on a toolbar.  If you're only concern is that you have to see
    > these red-lined items then follow the instructions at the above link to
    > hide those items.
    >
    > There is an option to perform an automatic Purge when you change folders
    > (also mentioned in the above article).  This will increase the number of
    > mail polls that Outlook performs to the mail server.  Every time you
    > switch to another folder (and when online), Outlook will have to sync
    > (by sending a purge command) with the mail server.

    Good information this really helped me out. Thanks!

    Rick, Jun 13, 2009