    running.
    According to my reading defrag is supposed to defrag the
    MFT. How do I get it to do so?

    Ian, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Ian

    david Guest

    Let me know if you get an answer to this! I have the same
    question. Is there any way at all to compress the MFT?

    david, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm and scroll down to
    the topic titled "Defrag on boot - Enable/Disable".

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    You might wish to consider purchasing a more powerful
    and thorough defragmenter program, such as PerfectDisk,
    which has the capability to defrag both the MFT and pagefile
    offline.

    Perfeck Disk
    http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/more_info.cfm

    Try out PerfectDisk® free, for 30-days
    http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk2000_download.cfm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jul 9, 2004
  4. Ian

    Steven K Guest

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm and scroll down to
    > the topic titled "Defrag on boot - Enable/Disable".
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
    >
    > You might wish to consider purchasing a more powerful
    > and thorough defragmenter program, such as PerfectDisk,
    > which has the capability to defrag both the MFT and pagefile
    > offline.

    Nope, Carey, MS XP cost a pile of money and the user, having paid for this,
    expects it in perfectly working order!

    steve

    Steven K, Jul 10, 2004
  5. David,

    When you refer to "compress the MFT" are you referring to making it smaller
    in size? If so, then that is not possible other than to backup all of the
    data on the drive, reformat the drive and then restore the data. Of course,
    this won't work very well if the drive is your system drive.

    If you are referring to defragmenting the MFT, then ALL defragmenters should
    be able to defragment all but the first 16 cluster of the MFT online -
    Microsoft's defrag APIs under Windows XP fully support this. Whether a
    defragmenter takes advantage of this ability is a different story.

    - Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

    Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
    commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

    Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

    Greg Hayes/Raxco Software, Jul 13, 2004