    services."
    I do have privileges as I built the system and am the only user.
    Any thoughts?

    Guest, Apr 21, 2007

    Dave M Guest

    Maybe a few things to check that I can think of, but otherwise I don't have
    a good grasp on that error.

    Is your Windows Installer for X64 current and have you applied all other
    critical Windows updates?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898715/

    When you tried the WD install was your AntiVirus disabled after downloading
    to disk (disconnect from the net while installing)

    I think your getting an installer 1920 error starting the Defender service,
    but that service is itself dependent on the Remote Procedure Call Service,
    so both services should be set for automatic and both should be running
    (started).

    Finally, on my 32 bit XP the Defender Service Logs on as the Local System
    account, and the RPC Service Logs on as NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, not as
    a privileged Admin account, so I suspect it's not really referring to your
    own account as not having enough privilege (look in properties of these
    services).

    --

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Apr 21, 2007

    I have downloaded Windows Defender and when I try to install it, I get a
    message that another installation is in progress, to install that first and
    retry. My CPU usage is at 100%, I need some help here A.S.A.P.
    Thanx in advance

    Guest, May 20, 2007

    Dave M Guest

    There's not much to go on here, you've appended to a post about Defender on
    a XP 64 bit system (non-standard), so is that your operating system as
    well? Are there any error codes associated with that error message that
    you're getting? Is this home system or are you on a corporate network?
    What process in task manager is using all those CPU cycles?

    As a matter of practice it's usually a good idea prior to installing
    Defender to visit Windows Update and do repeated Express installs of any
    outstanding high priority updates until no further updates are offered to
    you. Also we recommend downloading the Defender installation package to
    your hard disk and disabling any installed real time Anti-Virus and
    Anti-Spyware while the Defender install is in progress.

    --

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, May 21, 2007

    I am seeing the same symptoms on 2 systems on a domain.

    Are you saying that the RPC service needs to be started as the domain admin
    for the WinDefend service to start?

    Guest, Jul 10, 2007

    Dave M Guest

    Hi Pete;

    It does need to be started, not as the domain admin but rather as a
    built-in somewhat reduced privilege account similar to an authenticated
    user account. If you check the Properties menu on the Windows Defender
    Service this service is dependent on the system component RPC service.
    Both of these services should be automatically started for WD to function
    correctly, as opposed to either manually started or in disabled status.

    --

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Jul 12, 2007

    It's kind of a strange situation. Like, Jck,

    "The installation status window gets to "Starting services" and the progress
    bar goes to about 2/3rds completion and halts with the message..."Defender
    failed to start...verify you have sufficient privileges to start system
    services."
    I do have privileges as I built the system and am the only user."

    So if I jump over to the services list, I can see defender as "automatic"
    but not started. When I try to start it, I get a message that says "The
    service was started but stopped. This may be normal as some services will
    stop when idle" or some such. Any attempt to continue the install fail and I
    have to cancel and back out.

    Both the machines are on the same domain so I assume its a problem with
    policy handed down from the domain controller but the symptoms persist even
    if I try to install while logged in as the domain admin. What policy would
    dictate the starting of a new service?

    Norton AV Corp is in the mix, BTW. Disabled but installed.

    Guest, Jul 14, 2007

    Dave M Guest

    Take a look here Pete, it will be kinda like working backwards with
    appropriate substitutions since the quoted site is Symantec, but it might
    give you some other ideas to check out for possibilities... Defender with
    RTP should always be active and started... not stopped, I should think:

    http://entkb.symantec.com/security/output/n2001010315571848.html
    --

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Jul 15, 2007