Defender service error during installation

Discussion in 'Anti-Spyware Installation' started by Guest, Apr 28, 2006.

    Hi people!
    I'm trying to install Windows Defender 2 on a Windows 2000 (latest
    servicepack and hotfixes), but installation fails with the following message:

    Service 'Windows Defender Service' (WinDefend) failed to start.

    When I manually try to start the Windows Defender Service it returns the
    following error:

    Could not start the Windows Defender Service on Local Computer. Error
    2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified

    The registry key for the service
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\ContrlSet001\Services\WinDefend shows the
    ImagePath key to be "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" and the
    file is present on the system on that location...
    I'm lost, who can help me here?
    Kindest Regards,
    Eric

    Guest, Apr 28, 2006

    Hello PietS,

    To install Windows Defender, you must be logged on as Administrator.

    The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
    disabled
    --
    I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
    desktop.

    I hope this post is helpful.

    Please , rate the pºsts.

    Еиçеl

    Guest, Apr 28, 2006

    How do I verify that RPC is enabled?
    Thanks.
    --
    nycman

    Guest, Apr 28, 2006

    Hello nycman,

    Click on Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools then Services.

    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/print.shtml

    I hope this post is helpful.
    Please , rate the pºsts.
    Еиçеl

    Guest, Apr 29, 2006

    Hi, Engel, Your link for tweak xp services is getting redirected to that
    site's main page. Can you post a link to the specific information?
    --
    Old Rebel: Old, but not too old to learn new tricks!

    Guest, Apr 30, 2006

    I'm getting the same problem on same OS and service packs, on a number of
    computers.

    RPC is enabled and i am an administrator.

    James

    Guest, May 1, 2006

    Hi Engel!
    Same as James here: Remote Procedure Call service is started and I am logged
    on as administrator. I ran the setup again with Mc Affee Virusscan 8.0
    disabled, but same result: 2147942402: The system cannot find the file
    specified
    Kind regards,
    Eric

    Guest, May 1, 2006

    Hi guys,

    For that # error see here:
    http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=2147942402

    Good luck

    Guest, May 1, 2006

    Hi Engel!
    What has that KB article got to do with my problem???
    It's about "The Internet Connection Wizard was interrupted because of an
    error or user intervention" error message when you run the Internet
    Connection Wizard" while I receive the "2147942402: The system cannot find
    the file specified" error when the WD installer tries to start the Windefend
    service!!!!
    Kind regards,
    Eric

    Guest, May 2, 2006
  10. There is likely more at play here than running as an admin and RPC started.
    Can you tell me if you run any lockdown scripts or anything of that sort
    which would tighten up registry permissions?

    -steve

    Steve Dodson [MSFT]
    Windows Defender Beta Lead
    MCSE, CISSP
    http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

    originated.

    Steve Dodson [MSFT], May 10, 2006

    Hi Steve (and all others on this thead)!
    Checkout the post "WinDefend Service Failed to start - FIX!?" posted on May
    9th. It solved my problem on Windows 2000!!!
    Kindest regards,
    Eric

    Guest, May 10, 2006