    The program can't check for definition updates: code 0x80190197

    Is there anyway to put the proxy username and password in defender?

    TIA

    Guest, Sep 17, 2007

  2. Does Windows Update work through this proxy?

    You can update manually via links in the right column at:

    www.microsoft.com/security/portal

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Sep 18, 2007

    Hi Bill,
    Yes windows update works because it opens in a IE browser window thus I get
    the proxy logon box. But defender connects within the application without
    opening a browser so I do not get a chance authenticate with the proxy. AVG
    anti-virus and MSN messenger for example have a place to enter the proxy
    username and password. It seems defender doesn't :(.

    Guest, Sep 18, 2007
  4. I don't think this is going to work. One workaround would be to ask the ISP
    if they would allow access to the WindowsUpdate servers without
    authentication.

    This would make things easier for their customers, and not be a security
    risk, I think.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885819

    The above KB has a list of what would need to be allowed out.

    Windows Defender updates from the windows update servers, using bits. If
    your proxy were able to be configured in Internet Explorer, Windows defender
    would use those settings. Since you need to enter them manually, it cannot.

    You could create a command line tool which you could run while you were
    authenticated (i.e. when browsing, after entering credentials.)

    c:\program files\windows defender\mpcmdrun /SignatureUpdate

    should do it.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Sep 18, 2007

    Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your help. I'll try what you have suggested.
    Cheers!

    Guest, Sep 18, 2007

    pipperspaced Guest

    hello,
    can you help me what is message error 0x80190197 and how can I
    updated...

    thanks,
    elizabeth

    pipperspaced, Dec 9, 2007
  7. Have you read the other messages in this thread and have they helped?

    If you go to WindowsUpdate and do an express scan, are updates offered? and
    can you successfully install them?

    Bill Sanderson, Dec 9, 2007