Defender & Firewall

Steve R. Dixon

Hi Y'all

I maybe grasping at straws here and I might be in the wrong group, but I
really need an answer to this.

I am using Vista Ultimate and I get this message when I try to access
localhost

“Windows confirmed that ‘localhost’ is currently online, but is not
responding to connection attempts at this time.†and it goes on -

“This usally means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two
computers and is blocking ‘World Wide Web service HTTP. Windows has confirmed
that Windows Firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this
connection. However, a remote firewall might be blocking your connection.â€

Why does it mention two computers?, I am making this request in IE7 locally.

I have installed a WAMP server and was wondering if this localhost problem
is a combination of Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

I have switched of the Firewall and it made no difference, I am running out
of options to get this to function. Strangely enough I can access localhost
when I use my machinename ie: http://machinename or the IPv4 TCP/IP address.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Steve

Bill Sanderson

I don't think this is Windows Defender, nor the Windows firewall. What
antivirus or other security software are you running?

I'm writing from Vista Ultimate, and am downloading a WAMP server package as
I write. I'll test and see what happens on my system.

Bill Sanderson

Well - that was more of an adventure than I'd expected.

I downloaded what now looks to be a pretty ancient version--it includes:

Apache_2.0.48
php4
mysql-3.23.53
phpmyadm,in-2.3.2

and, after running with the -k install switch and the -d parameter to point
to:%userprofile%\virtualstore\local\program files\apache group\apache2

Oh - I think I had to fix serverroot in the conf file

and then copying all the modules \modules under that same path, it works.

And I can put "localhost" into the browser, and come up with the default
apache page just fine. So--I'm not sure what I've proven!

Anyway--apache starts just fine, and I can see the test page if I just hit
localhost.

And Windows Defender and UAC are both up and running. I've tested both with
just Windows Defender, and with Microsoft Forefront Client Protection
running.

Vista Ultimate.

Not sure that's any help, but I'd look elsewhere than Defender.