    above error number and a message that states: "...The specificed service does
    not exist as an installed service".

    Any idea how to correct this problem?

    Jack Perry, Oct 19, 2008

  2. Jack Perry

    Engel Guest

    Hello Jack,

    0x80070424

    ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST BITS service is deleted.

    80070424 usually means that the BITS service (required by Windows Update) is
    not running.

    Have a look at this articles. It may be relevant to your problem.

    The above explanation was for a previous Version of BITS but, there has been
    an update for BITS since Vista came out.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939159>

    Is BITS disabled ? It can be set to Manual and the system will update
    successfully but, will not update if BITS is Disabled.
    Suggest you run the BITS Repair Tool to see if that helps resolve the issue
    after installing the update for it:
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520>

    <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=94d230a5-48a2-43a1-b43c-7a94d5db023d&mid=94d230a5-48a2-43a1-b43c-7a94d5db023d>

    Good luck

    Let us know what hªppens.

    Ǝиçεl
    -=-

    Engel, Oct 19, 2008

  3. Jack Perry

    Tom Lloyd Guest

    I have the same problem as Jack. I have tried running the BITS repair tool
    and it says that it does not need repairing yet I get the same error code
    with Windows Defender. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Tom

    Tom Lloyd, Dec 1, 2008
  4. Jack Perry

    Tom Emmelot Guest

    Hi Tom,

    Look here:
    http://www.castlecops.com/p466562-How_To_Fix_Windows_Update_BITS_Newly_Edited.html#466562

    I repaired 2 computers with Vista with the reg file in the zip file that
    you can download if you scroll to the end of that page.

    Like to here how things worked for you.

    Regards >*< TOM >*<

    Tom Emmelot, Dec 2, 2008