Word Default Settings In Ms Office Word 2007

Reaction score
I would like to be able to change the default settings in word 2007 so that when I open a document it defaults to the "Draft" view (on the "View Tab") and the "Final" setting on the "Review" tab.

Currently every time I open a document I have to manually change the settings on those 2 tabs, as every document always opens with "Print Layout" selected in the "View" tab and "Final Showing Markup" selected in the "Review" tab.

Reaction score
Answering my own questions (I found the answers by searching on Google -- too bad searching on ms word help doesn't come up with anything relevant!):

To change the default view when opening document to "Draft":
Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then select "Word Options".
Select "Advanced".
Scroll down to the "General" section
Check the "Allow opening a document in Draft view" check box.
Click OK.

To change the default setting to "Final" (i.e., to view "final", not "final with markup") in the "Review tab":
Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then select "Word Options".
Click Trust Center
Click on the "Trust Center Settings" button
Select "Privacy Options" from the list on the left of the screen
Uncheck the "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving" checkbox
Click OK.
Click OK.

Note that if you are sending the document to someone you might want to make sure that when the document is (manually) switched to the ""final with markup" view there is nothing visible that you would not want the recipient of the document to see.

Reaction score
Hi...

Word 2007 has some interesting default settings to say the least, and I’m sure that I am not the only one that would like to change them. Today, I’m going to show you how to change those awful settings to something that suits you better.First, you want to open up Word 2007, and open the font settings box by clicking on the bottom right corner of the font options part of the home tab.Now that the font settings are up, change all of the settings to what you like and click the default button in the bottom left corner. It will ask you if you are sure, but of course you are!Next, you will open up the paragraph settings by clicking on the bottom right of the paragraph options in the home tab.You should have just opened the options window for paragraph. Change the settings to what you want and click the default button.No longer do you have to change the settings every time you open Word 2007.Thanks For sharing...

Ask a Question