    careful of when doing this? Or can I just run dcpromo and be gone with it?

    Thanks,

    -brian

    Brian McGrew, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Brian McGrew

    Ryan Hanisco Guest

    Brian,

    That is a lot of servers for one site... If there are multiple sites in
    your replication topology, make sure you look at your bridgeheads and
    replication metrics to be sure that pulling that server will not do
    something funky with the way your replication is occurring.

    Take a look at the placement of your FSMO roles. If you haven't done much
    with these, they are most likely still on that first server. When you
    demote it, those roles will be migrated off to other servers, but you want
    to do this manually so you know exactly where things are and how they affect
    your environment.

    I would suggest, migrating the roles and all other functions of that
    server -- DNS, Printers, profiles and the like. Then shut the server off
    for a week or two. This will give you a grace period where you can see if
    you've missed anything. Make sure you add/ remove users, look for RID Pool
    problems, edit GPOs... normal AD stuff, to test.

    After that, power the server up, run a dcpromo to remove it, and you should
    be good.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA