Date format clarification

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel New Users' started by Blue Max, Apr 6, 2010.

  1. Blue Max

    Blue Max Guest

    When a user selects the 14-Mar-01 standard date format in Excel 2007, then
    selects the custom format option, this is the standard format that displays:

    [$-409]d-mmm-yy;@

    What is the significance of the prefix "[$-409]" included with this standard
    format? Why is that prefix even necessary and is it necessary to include
    the prefix for all custom date formats we create?

    Thank you for any help.

    Blue Max, Apr 6, 2010

  2. Its a number format code. See:

    http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/hfws.aspx?AssetID=HA010346351033&CTT=6&Origin=EC010272491033

    --
    Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

    Gary''s Student, Apr 6, 2010

  3. Blue Max

    Gord Dibben Guest

    The 409 is country or locale code number.

    Not necessary to use it when custom formatting cells.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Apr 6, 2010
  4. Blue Max

    Blue Max Guest

    Thank you for the reply, "Gary's Student - gsnu201001". The information
    link was very useful. However, we still have the following questions:

    FIRST, why does this prefix even show when we are working in our default
    locale (location) and have not specified a new locale (location) for the
    shipping format before selecting the 'Custom' category?

    SECOND, we note that the custom format only shows the prefix for the locale
    and language segment, not the numeral shape or calendar type segment. If it
    must have the prefix then why not all segments of the prefix?

    THIRD, does a user always have to include a prefix when creating custom
    format codes, even when working in their default locale (location)?

    Thanks,

    Richard

    *******************

    Blue Max, Apr 6, 2010
  5. Blue Max

    Blue Max Guest

    Thank you, Gord. I appreciate the confirmation that it is not necessary.
    However, still wonder why it even shows up in the first place when
    displaying the custom format code for the standard code?

    Thanks,

    Richard

    Blue Max, Apr 6, 2010
  6. Blue Max

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Why? No idea.

    Gord

    Gord Dibben, Apr 6, 2010
  7. Blue Max

    ozgrid.com Guest

    I believe the "[$-409]" will switch formats if opened on another PC, if
    needed.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Hawley