Date and Time Properties: Internet Time

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Phisherman, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. Phisherman

    Phisherman Guest

    Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
    Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:

    An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    time.windows.com

    I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
    tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
    trying to get the time I get the following error:

    Failed to get atomic time

    I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
    enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

    Phisherman, Sep 18, 2007

  2. Phisherman

    Lispo Guest

    Re: Date and Time Properties: Internet Time

    Me too using Atomic alarm clock by Drive Software, but all ok.

    Lispo, Sep 18, 2007

  3. Phisherman

    Guest

    , Sep 18, 2007
  4. Phisherman

    witan Guest

    On Sep 18, 4:13 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    > Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
    > Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:
    >
    > An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    > time.windows.com
    >
    > I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
    > tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
    > trying to get the time I get the following error:
    >
    > Failed to get atomic time
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
    > enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

    Make sure that the Windows Time service (W32Time) is running.

    witan, Sep 18, 2007
  5. Phisherman

    Phisherman Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 05:23:56 -0700, witan <> wrote:

    >On Sep 18, 4:13 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >> Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
    >> Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:
    >>
    >> An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    >> time.windows.com
    >>
    >> I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
    >> tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
    >> trying to get the time I get the following error:
    >>
    >> Failed to get atomic time
    >>
    >> I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
    >> enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

    >Make sure that the Windows Time service (W32Time) is running.

    The w32Time is running. Set to "automatic." I tried stopping and
    starting the service, still fails to contact the server.

    :(

    Phisherman, Sep 18, 2007
  6. Phisherman

    Unknown Guest

    Re: Date and Time Properties: Internet Time

    Try changing the time server to tock.usno.navy.mil

    Unknown, Sep 18, 2007
  7. Phisherman

    Phisherman Guest

    Re: Date and Time Properties: Internet Time

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:17:18 -0500, "Unknown" <>
    wrote:

    >tock.usno.navy.mil

    That worked! And it worked BOTH in Windows Date/Time Properties and
    Atomic Alarm Clock. Don't know exactly why this works and the other
    servers did not, perhaps a different protocol?

    Many thanks to Unknown. And, I must say, the US Navy rocks!

    Phisherman, Sep 18, 2007
  8. Phisherman

    Unknown Guest

    Re: Date and Time Properties: Internet Time

    Happy it solved your problem.

    Unknown, Sep 18, 2007
  9. Phisherman

    Guest Guest

    > An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    > time.windows.com

    This worked in XP Home SP2:
    Open a command prompt - run cmd.exe - then type these lines:

    net stop w32time
    w32tm /unregister <-- [ignore error message]
    w32tm /register
    net start w32time

    Go to the clock and click 'Update Now'. I used time-a.nist.gov for the server.

    In the registry there were two extra values "Group=" and "FailureActions="
    in the first key
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time] and one extra
    subkey [..\W32Time\Enum] (with values) in the old non-working registry
    configuration. Maybe that's what's causing the problem. I suspect the
    "FailureActions=" value may have been bad and getting rid of it fixed the
    problem (but I didn't try to recreate the problem).

    Guest, Sep 20, 2007
  10. Phisherman

    bbunny Guest

    > Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
    > Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:
    >

    > An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    > time.windows.com
    >

    > I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
    > tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
    > trying to get the time I get the following error:
    >

    > Failed to get atomic time
    >

    > I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
    > enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

    I just love the guess work on this newsgroup.
    Read the last paragraph.

    <http://tf.nist.gov/service/time-servers.html>

    Google for another ntp server such as <us.pool.ntp.org>

    bbunny, Sep 22, 2007
  11. Phisherman

    Unknown Guest

    Change the time server to tock.usno.navy.mil

    Unknown, Sep 22, 2007
  12. Phisherman

    Guest Guest

    I have had the same issue and also use McAfee. To answer your question you
    have to enable or open port 123 (w32time) under "system services" when your
    under program permissions or the area where you would modify which programs
    have access to the internet.

    Once you enable or open port 123 or under system services check "network
    time protocol" and your computer will be able to update with windows time
    server or any other server you may choose.

    Also... If you use any other 3rd party firewalls you would also have to make
    sure that the network time protocol (port 123) is enabled or granted to
    access internet.

    Knowledge is Power
    http://opsec.spaces.live.com

    Guest, Oct 14, 2007