Windows XP DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services

Reaction score
Hallo Im having some problems when ever I start my computer up I get a pop up called:

DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION - MICROSOFT
to help protect your computer Windows has closed this
program.
Name: Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services
Publisher: Microsoft
Data Execution Protection helps protect against damage
from viruses and other security threats.

I believe this is a product off me moving recently to a new place and I think I'm on a large share network with alot off other people and I might gotten something on my computer that's doing this, I didnt have a anti virus program running when I connect first time.

I also seem to be going into my sound card or something because if Im trying to connect to ventrilo I get a error:
Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device.
DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed, hr = 88780078
and when I open settings I get:
No mixers are avaliable.

Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Michael :) Which version of Windows are you using and I will move this post to the correct section of the forums so you can get help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.
I.m using windows xp, there was a other couple off things I forgot to mention after this started I tried reinstalling my sound drivers but didnt work. after it started I've also installed a copy off NOD32.

Thanks

Reaction score
same thing

Ok, google brought me to this thread as i am having the exact same issue as the above poster. um i would love to read the answer, where did you post it...lol

i too am running xp sp2, am getting the DEP at startup and its turning off the GHP for Win32 Services.

My sound is going batty too, when i click on my little speaker down on the bar i get a message that there are "no mixing devices" installed and to go to control panel, blah,blah,blah. when i reboot the sound comes back but this isn't the issue that bothers me, its the above one.

thanks
Lisa

Ask a Question