Damn. 2 dead CPU's and 2 dead motherboards. Help?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Heathen Mind, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Heathen Mind

    Heathen Mind Guest

    OK first of all when I boot my PC the monitor will not fire up.
    Originally I was having loads of problems with the computer starting up
    in the morning to begin with and I put this down to the cold weather.
    Then for about a week or two I had bad random hanging especially when
    starting applications. Then the PC died completely and will not fire up
    the monitor on boot.

    The hard drive spins up and the processor fans spin up but that is all
    that happens. I bought a replacement Duron 800 secondhand and tried
    that, thinking that with the crashing the CPU might be blown. The
    monitor kicked into life but the screen was garbled like the output of
    a corrupt printer buffer. Then I rebooted it and the same thing
    happened as before - the monitor didn't burst into life. I think that
    might have blown the new CPU because I just got a replacement
    motherboard and I am not getting any response from it at all.

    So now I am in a dilemma. I may have 2 dead Duron 800's and 2 dead
    motherboards. I have swapped video cards, memory, drives and power
    supply and still it's the same the monitor won't fire up during the
    boot sequence.

    I am thinking the new motherboard is OK because the second Duron blew
    in the old motherboard. Shall I get another secondhand Duron 800 and
    sacrifice it or could the dud CPU have ruined the new motherboard in
    any way? I have tested both of the Durons and they are still cold after
    five minutes in the machine. Shall I buy another Duron800 or what?

    Heathen Mind, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Heathen Mind

    Erick Guest

    I've seen a few cases where a dead CPU will take out a motherboard and vice
    versa, and all were AMDs. It's one of the reasons I won't buy AMD chips.
    However, it is only a small possibility. At this point I would assume both
    CPUs are dead, as a bad motherboard is much more likely to kill a CPU than
    the other way around. Try another CPU in the believed-to-be-good board,
    ditch the known dead board and both CPUs.

    Erick, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Heathen Mind

    Noozer Guest

    > OK first of all when I boot my PC the monitor will not fire up.

    Turning on the power is not necessarily booting the PC. If the POST doesn't
    run, the PC ain't booting.

    There is not any fire located in any PC monitor that I've seen. I asssume
    that the screen stays blank, power LED doesn't come on and it never gets
    warm. Nothing to do with the PC.

    > Originally I was having loads of problems with the computer starting up
    > in the morning to begin with and I put this down to the cold weather.

    "Cold weather" has nothing to do with a broken computer. Computers may crash
    more, depending on tempurature, but being cold is not a reason for a working
    computer to fail.

    > The hard drive spins up and the processor fans spin up but that is all
    > that happens. I bought a replacement Duron 800 secondhand and tried
    > that, thinking that with the crashing the CPU might be blown. The
    > monitor kicked into life but the screen was garbled like the output of
    > a corrupt printer buffer. Then I rebooted it and the same thing
    > happened as before - the monitor didn't burst into life. I think that
    > might have blown the new CPU because I just got a replacement
    > motherboard and I am not getting any response from it at all.

    Sounds like something is broken. What parts do you actually have? If the CPU
    is a Duron 800 my bet would be a worn out power supply, possibly killing the
    mainboard/CPU connected to it.

    > So now I am in a dilemma. I may have 2 dead Duron 800's and 2 dead
    > motherboards. I have swapped video cards, memory, drives and power
    > supply and still it's the same the monitor won't fire up during the
    > boot sequence.

    > I am thinking the new motherboard is OK because the second Duron blew
    > in the old motherboard. Shall I get another secondhand Duron 800 and
    > sacrifice it or could the dud CPU have ruined the new motherboard in
    > any way? I have tested both of the Durons and they are still cold after
    > five minutes in the machine. Shall I buy another Duron800 or what?

    A system based on a Duron 800 is cheap enough to toss and replace. Duron
    800's should be cheap enough for you to pick up half a dozen - but I doubt
    that's going to help.

    Noozer, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Heathen Mind

    kony Guest

    On 10 Jan 2006 16:57:55 -0800, "Heathen Mind"
    <> wrote:

    >OK first of all when I boot my PC the monitor will not fire up.
    >Originally I was having loads of problems with the computer starting up
    >in the morning to begin with and I put this down to the cold weather.

    ??? Are they outside?
    A properly set up system will start at any hospitable temp.
    That is, if you can stand it without a coat on, so can the
    system.

    >Then for about a week or two I had bad random hanging especially when
    >starting applications. Then the PC died completely and will not fire up
    >the monitor on boot.

    Are you using generic power supply(s)?

    Did you consider telling us about these systems but then
    decided not to? Details are really important, otherwise all
    we know is you have systems that don't work, while other
    systems, do. The details won't always help but often...

    >The hard drive spins up and the processor fans spin up but that is all
    >that happens.

    Classic failure to post. The post likely culprits are a
    failed motherboard or power supply. It's certainly possible
    to be something else instead but in a system that remained
    undisturbed, these two are it over 80% of the time.
    Sometimes it's really simple, like a dead battery- check
    yours.

    >I bought a replacement Duron 800 secondhand and tried
    >that, thinking that with the crashing the CPU might be blown.

    CPUs don't just "blow" unless something tragic happens like
    the heatsink falls off or the fan stopped. Well, maybe less
    than 1% do, but if we're going to consider such remote
    things, it'd take forever to get to the more common things
    which are usually the problem.

    Also, this secondhand CPU, how confident are you that it
    really worked/works? Is it the same speed?

    It's really really useful to start out a problem thread with
    a concise list of all major system components, and it puts
    the rest of the entire thread in context. Doing it later
    never does as well as right at first as too many posts go
    off on a tangent they wouldn't have otherwise. Second to a
    concise description is a brief history of the system such as
    how long it had been running as configured when it failed
    and whether anything, even moving the system from one side
    of your desk to the other, had changed.

    >The
    >monitor kicked into life but the screen was garbled like the output of
    >a corrupt printer buffer.

    Could be extremely instable or could be video card- check
    that video card is seated properly and inspec the contacts.
    Could be poor power too, check the voltages with a
    multimeter.

    >Then I rebooted it and the same thing
    >happened as before - the monitor didn't burst into life. I think that
    >might have blown the new CPU because I just got a replacement
    >motherboard and I am not getting any response from it at all.

    We dont' even know if the CPU was good in the first place?
    I mean, you may but we don't.
    Too many variables, no way to isolate anything.

    You didn't tell us about the replacement board either.

    It is not common to blow a CPU with a bad board, not one
    that had worked and just stopped working in same system at
    least. You might be jinxed and it happened but I wouldn't
    assume it just yet.

    Did you clear the CMOS? On the first board? On placing the
    second CPU in first board? On the second board?

    >So now I am in a dilemma. I may have 2 dead Duron 800's and 2 dead
    >motherboards.

    Actually you don't know if any of them are dead, at least
    not by the details provided.

    > I have swapped video cards, memory, drives and power
    >supply and still it's the same the monitor won't fire up during the
    >boot sequence.

    Did you check the original board for failed capacitors? It
    was fairly common but then you didn't tell us the makes and
    models of parts...

    Did you clear the CMOS after swapping the video card?
    If not, do it, after trying the other things.

    >I am thinking the new motherboard is OK because the second Duron blew
    >in the old motherboard.

    It is unlikely that either CPU is dead unless the heatsink
    wasnt' installed right or the fan wasn't running for a
    period of time.

    > Shall I get another secondhand Duron 800 and
    >sacrifice it or could the dud CPU have ruined the new motherboard in
    >any way? I have tested both of the Durons and they are still cold after
    >five minutes in the machine. Shall I buy another Duron800 or what?

    Why did you get the first secondhand Duron? I mean, it's
    not like that's a fast CPU so if one were to replace the CPU
    it'd think they would want an upgrade, especially since the
    parts are now old and relatively cheap.

    You should not buy any new parts yet. At least, if you
    haven't done more than you described above, you should go
    back and retry original parts. We dont' know if you tried
    the (new?) power supply with the original board and CPU
    either. We need detailed specifics in chronological order.

    We don't know if the new PSU was decent or a poor generic.
    Far too many variables to conclude anything, but the least
    likely is that both CPUs and both boards are dead.

    kony, Jan 11, 2006