Custom validator Controll

Michael ALbanese

I am developing a telephone directory for my company.

I have Fist Name, Last Name, Department and Phone Number
as fields. A user can search by entering data into any
one, or combination of these fields.

I have been trying to write a custom validation control
that will test each of the textboxes and reject the
request if they are ALL blank.

It sounds simple, and It seems like a Javascript would do
the trick, but I am at a loss to connect the function with
the submit action.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Michael Albanese

Here is the short version on my page and a feble
validation control.

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<script runat="server">

' Insert page code here
'

Sub InputValidator_ServerValidate(sender As Object, e
As ServerValidateEventArgs)

If txtLName.Text = "" And txtFName.Text = "" And
txtDept.Text = "" And txtPhone.Text = "" Then
sender.IsValid = False
Else
sender.IsValid = True
End If

End Sub

</script>
<head>
</head>
<form runat="server">
align="center" border="0">
<tbody>
bgcolor="whitesmoke" colspan="4">
Enter your Search
Criteria&nbsp;&nbsp;
<asp:CustomValidator
id="InputValidator" runat="server"
OnServerValidate="InputValidator_ServerValidate" Font-
Bold="True" Width="372px" ErrorMessage="Error : Please
enter Search Criteria"></asp:CustomValidator>
align="middle">
First Name</td>
align="middle">
Last Name</td>
align="middle">
Department</td>
align="middle">
Phone</td>
<asp:TextBox id="txtFname"
runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox id="txtLname"
runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox id="txtDept"
runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox id="txtPhone"
runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:Button id="btnSubmit"
runat="server" Text="Submit"></asp:Button>
&nbsp;<asp:Button id="btnClear"
runat="server" Text="Clear"></asp:Button>
</tbody>
</form>

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Michael,

The only thing left is to make use of the nicely validated data. All you
need to do is check the IsValid property of Page to work out if you can
proceed to update your database. Here is how your submit handler might look:

public sub OnSubmit(source as Object, e as EventArgs)
if Page.IsValid then
' Now we can perform our transaction.
end if
end sub

You can check this link for more information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html
/pdc_userinput.asp

Hope this helpful.

Best Regards,