    EVERYTIME I am typing a message or working on a letter in Word 2007, the
    cursor will jump to another sentence. Has anyone else experienced this and
    what is the solution?

    CPTGAWRY, Jan 20, 2008

  2. CPTGAWRY

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Laptop? Keep your hands away from the touch pad.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Jan 20, 2008

  3. CPTGAWRY

    Ferdinand Guest

    I have the same problem, and I am keeping my hands away from the touch pad
    and everything else except for the keys I want to press. A computer science
    major said it was a Vista problem. I also took it to a computer shop. The
    technician reinstalled Office but there was little improvement.

    Ferdinand, Jan 21, 2008
  4. CPTGAWRY

    Graham Mayor Guest

    It's the touch pad. Some are so sensitive that tapping the keys will affect
    them.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Jan 21, 2008
  5. CPTGAWRY

    Ferdinand Guest

    Thank you Graham.
    Another problem is that for no apparent reason, when i"m typing a message it
    desapears or a window pops up asking if I want to quit. Do you think it is a
    related problem?

    Ferdinand, Jan 24, 2008
  6. CPTGAWRY

    Soundchick Guest

    I love how everyone who has not experienced this problem is so quick to say
    that it's just the user accidentally touching the touchpad. I am an IT
    professional myself and I have had this problem on 3 laptops now. Different
    brands, different OS, different touchpad drivers, etc. I have gone as far as
    disabling the touchpad, but even then I have the same problems (cursor
    jumping, windows closing, etc.) There seems to be a flaw in the Windows OS
    when it comes to the touchpad. The only thing I have found that has helped me
    is a little program called TouchFreeze. You can download it for free from
    several places (just do a Google search) but I'll post a link below. Since I
    downloaded and installed it, I have not had the problem. I wish I had the
    time to analyze the code to see what it is actually doing. The program is
    supposed to simply disable the touchpad while one is typing. I wish
    Microsoft would take a look at this and get a patch released to fix it!

    http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

    Soundchick, Jan 28, 2008
  7. CPTGAWRY

    Graham Mayor Guest

    The simple fact is that some touchpads are so sensitive to taps (because
    that is how they work) that even heavy fingered typists will activate the
    tap function without actually touching the pad. This utility seems to be
    worth investigating. If it is not compatible with Vista, I would not be
    surprised if an update comes along soon.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Jan 29, 2008
  8. To add to the discussion, yesterday my husband started experiencing the
    wandering mouse/cursor problem on his laptop. He could sit in front of the
    computer not touching anything and watch the mouse pointer gradually drift
    to the top left corner of the screen. I've occasionally seen this sort of
    mouse drift, but I could always regain control by moving the mouse
    explicitly; he could not. He was unable to control the mouse or insertion
    point via the external mouse, touchpad, or "eraserhead" pointing device on
    the laptop. When he was trying to type an important email, the cursor would
    suddenly jump up a line or two, and he couldn't move it with the mouse.

    He did everything he could think of, including shutting down completely and
    rebooting (cold restart). Finally, in desperation, he removed the wireless
    network adapter and unplugged the laptop (its battery no longer holds any
    appreciable charge, so it has to be run from mains power). A few minutes
    later, he plugged everything back in, and so far all seems copacetic.
    Unfortunately, he isn't sure whether the problem was the mostly dead
    battery, the network adapter, or something else, but it seems to be fixed
    temporarily.

    Given the agony and bewilderment he experienced over this for several hours,
    I can understand the frustration of users who are told that the problem
    derives from their touchpad when they are convinced that this is not the
    case.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jan 29, 2008
  9. CPTGAWRY

    mb Guest

    Thats true, I installed ms office on my new laptop and have the same problem,
    when ever I type it jumps to a different line and it happens alot. Just to
    make sure it wasn't the computer keyboard I reinstalled it to a different
    computer and the same thing happened. Very frustration. I will download the
    touch freeze and see if that will solve my problem. Thanks!

    mb, Apr 3, 2008
  10. CPTGAWRY

    Jena Guest

    Thank you soo much - I will try this!

    Jena, Jun 7, 2008
  11. CPTGAWRY

    jem Guest

    thanks for that - all seems well.....so far!! not only was the cursor jumping
    so you'd suddenly find yourself typing in the middle of an earlier sentence
    but also during an e-mail reply it would suddenly decide to send it - not
    very helpful. Thank you so much for this - I may still have some hair left
    to tear out on another problem - it seems to be V8 AVG related in that I
    can't print off the internet without taking vista protected mode off but
    that's another story!! Thanks again!

    jem, Jun 26, 2008
  12. CPTGAWRY

    andrei

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    manchester
    cursor jumping in word

    Many thanks to all contributors. We also, hopefully had this problem, after installing new wireless router. After I read your forum ,few minutes ago, I have downloded the recommended curser freezer program. I hope it will solve the problem. If it will not I will let you know.

    andrei, Jul 21, 2008
  13. CPTGAWRY

    Sniper Guest

    Thank you, thank you, thank you. (And I haven't even tried your solution
    yet). Finally an answer that makes sense. Yes, the infernal trackpad may very
    well be extra sensitive, but Linux seems to be able to handle this
    sensitivity with ease. Is it too much to ask windows to do the same? In South
    Africa we have a big bird called an Ostridge. When it hides it sticks its
    head in the sand in a very similar fashion to that of the Microsoft MVPs.

    Sniper, Aug 29, 2008
  14. CPTGAWRY

    Curious Guest

    These solutions are good if you are willing to disable the touch pad. But
    what about those of us who rely on using it? Is there a setting to lower the
    sensitivity of the touch pad? Any other way to address this that a MVP knows
    of?
    Thanks.

    Curious, Oct 1, 2008
  15. CPTGAWRY

    Sniper Guest

    Soundchick's solution worked for me. And it DOESN'T disable the touchpad. I
    don't have an external mouse so that would have been disasterous. What it
    does is, for the microseconds around the time you press a key, the pad is
    temporarily disabled. Stop typing and you can use the pad immediately. You
    certainly won't notice any lag.

    Yes, I too await an official VISTA solution but the workaround works
    seemlessly and I don't even notice it's there.

    Sniper, Oct 1, 2008
  16. CPTGAWRY

    Curious Guest

    Thanks, Sniper. I'm gonna give it a shot (so to speak) and I'll let y'all
    know how it worked for me. Appreciate the help

    Curious, Dec 1, 2008
  17. CPTGAWRY

    Deltamama Guest

    This such a maddening problem!!! I have just started experiencing it on my
    less than a year old Dell inspriron 1525...I use a wireless mouse. I had the
    exact same problem with my previous Dell using an attached mouse. I plan to
    try your suggestion Soundchick - thanks!

    Deltamama, Feb 25, 2009
  18. Hi,
    I am also experiencing the same problem. I didn't have this issue when I
    had the 2003 version of Microsoft word. When I upgraded to 2007 version, all
    of a sudden, I was having issues when typing and the cursor will jump to
    another sentence. I thought initially I was typing to fast. Still haven't
    found a solution. I'm in agony everytime I type.

    miserable in virginia, Mar 12, 2009
  19. CPTGAWRY

    casaskiisses

    Joined: