    the problem persisted.

    This problem has happened to a few other users in our company as well, who
    are also running Outlook 2003 in cached Exchange mode.

    Amanda George, Apr 20, 2009

  2. "Amanda George" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > The "To" field is removed
    > from the Sent Items current view and is replaced by the "From" field. In
    > reverse, the "From" field in the Inbox view is replaced by the "To" field.
    > The user has to select the option to Customize Current View and
    > replace/rearrange the fields each time this happens,

    Check the view. Perhaps it's just changed from "Sent To" to "Messages" and
    vice versa. If that's the case, you can set it back easily enough by
    selecting the correct view.

    When does it get changed? Just when the search window appears or when they
    open a message from the Search window? Which search are you using? Advanced
    FInd? Windows Desktop Search? Tools>FInd>Find?
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Apr 20, 2009

  3. The user is using the find messages search option from within Outlook, from
    the top toolbar. This problem only occurs after a search. This problem just
    started a few weeks ago also. For example, if he searches for a specific
    email in the Inbox, the search tool finds it, he opens that email, and then
    moves away from that email and clicks on Sent Items, the view will be changed
    all of a sudden. Please advise, thank you.

    Amanda George, Apr 20, 2009
  4. "Amanda George" <> wrote in message

    > The user is using the find messages search option from within Outlook, from
    > the top toolbar. This problem only occurs after a search. This problem
    > just
    > started a few weeks ago also. For example, if he searches for a specific
    > email in the Inbox, the search tool finds it, he opens that email, and then
    > moves away from that email and clicks on Sent Items, the view will be
    > changed
    > all of a sudden. Please advise, thank you.

    Is the view being changed from "Sent To" to "Messages" or does the view remain
    "Sent To" but with the wrong columns?
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Apr 21, 2009
  5. "Amanda George" <> wrote in message

    > The user is using the find messages search option from within Outlook, from
    > the top toolbar. This problem only occurs after a search. This problem
    > just
    > started a few weeks ago also. For example, if he searches for a specific
    > email in the Inbox, the search tool finds it, he opens that email, and then
    > moves away from that email and clicks on Sent Items, the view will be
    > changed
    > all of a sudden. Please advise, thank you.

    The "Look for" field will search only the currently selected folder, it won't
    show messages in other folders. It also doesn't open a separate Find window.
    Is that what you're using or do you have Windows Desktop Search installed and
    that's what you're using?

    When you say "moves away from that email", what exactly does that mean? Does
    it mean he closes the message and clicks the Sent Items folder or does it mean
    he leaves that message open and clicks Sent Items?
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Apr 21, 2009
  6. Amanda George

    mla1 Guest

    I have had reports of users with the same thing. For some reason sporadic
    folder views change to that of sent items. IE There is no "From" field and
    the "To" field has magically appeared. I have not been able to replicate
    this at will, but have had several users report the issue.

    It could be related to the search function. One of our users effected
    does not use cached mode and all out users are running outlook 2003 sp3

    just to add a reply to the comment about the view being changed, this is not
    the case but the wrong columns.

    mla1, May 18, 2009
  7. Amanda George

    mla1 Guest

    Steps to repro the error.
    start RUN Outlook /cleanview.
    click on sent items
    View > Arrange by > Current View Messages
    Right click on "From" and select Field Chooser
    Remove the Field "From" and add the field "To"
    Remove the Field Received" and add the field "Sent"
    click on the inbox to double check the fields show from and recieved.
    click on the sent items to double check the fields show sent and to
    Click find and change the dropdown from "Sent" to "Mail I recieved"
    search for your name
    click find.
    Now click on your inbox and the field show To and Sent,
    If you check the default view in the following place
    View > Arrange BY > current View > Define Views
    Click messages > Modify > Fields.
    It now displays from and to. (the default folder views have changed after
    a search)..

    I guess microsofts answer is that its either by design or a bug that wont be
    fixed.

    mla1, Jun 1, 2009
  8. "mla1" <> wrote in message

    > Steps to repro the error.
    > start RUN Outlook /cleanview.

    This will display the Sent Items folder in the "Sent To" view.

    > click on sent items
    > View > Arrange by > Current View Messages
    > Right click on "From" and select Field Chooser
    > Remove the Field "From" and add the field "To"
    > Remove the Field Received" and add the field "Sent"

    Why are you modifying the Message view so that it looks like the Sent To view,
    which Sent Items should already be using? Why are you changing the Sent Items
    folder from the Sent To view to the Messages view?

    > click on the inbox to double check the fields show from and recieved.
    > click on the sent items to double check the fields show sent and to
    > Click find and change the dropdown from "Sent" to "Mail I recieved"

    Which "drop down" are you changing?

    > search for your name
    > click find.
    > Now click on your inbox and the field show To and Sent,
    > If you check the default view in the following place
    > View > Arrange BY > current View > Define Views
    > Click messages > Modify > Fields.
    > It now displays from and to. (the default folder views have changed after
    > a search)..
    >
    > I guess microsofts answer is that its either by design or a bug that wont be
    > fixed.

    I don't see any "Microsoft answer"? Where did you find it?
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Jun 2, 2009
  9. Amanda George

    mla1 Guest

    The drop down is when you click on "Search in".

    The microsoft answer was a guess so excuse my sarcasm

    mla1, Jun 2, 2009
  10. Amanda George

    mla1 Guest

    This is also an issue in outlook 2007
    To repro in outlook 2007 follow these steps

    Launch outlook 2007 /cleanviews.
    Click on sent Items
    view Current View Messages
    From the sent Items right click on the field From and select field chooser
    remove from and add to
    remove received and sent
    Click on inbox check it has from and received
    Click on sent items check it has to and sent
    Whilst on the sent items view
    click Tools > Instant Search > Advanced Find
    Click Browse
    Untick Sent Items
    Tick inbox.
    click Find now.
    Once the search has complete click the inbox. (no need to close the search
    window).
    The inbox has now changed to TO and Sent but still has the messages view.

    ****NOTE I cannot re-create the error with outlook 2007 SP1 so looks like it
    was fixed in this release*****

    mla1, Jun 18, 2009
  11. Why are you changing the Sent folder to use the Messages view then editing
    the view to show the fields in the Sent to view? When you do this you
    create one-off views and in the process of searching both then only the
    inbox, applied the edited Messages view to the Inbox.

    Regardless, resetting the view would fix it.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:
    mailto: