    update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running
    on this computer. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
    error?

    Mario, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Mario wrote:

    > I am trying to install updates, I receive this error:
    > Setup could not verify the integrity of the file
    > update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running
    > on this computer. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
    > error?

    Hi

    Is this on a Windows XP computer on a Windows 2000 computer?

    If it is a Windows XP computer (procedure is not for Windows 2000):

    Your Cryptographic Service is most likely running fine, renaming or deleting
    the Catroot2 folder is most likely what you need to do to solve the problem.

    Go to http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;326815

    It describes how to check the Cryptographic Service, as well as how to rename
    the Catroot2 folder.

    To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow the steps 6 to 8 in the Resolution
    section of above link (do a reboot first so the computer is "fresh" before you
    do the steps).

    Then try to install the update again.

    Disregard that the link above is for SP1, the Catroot2 problem is relevant for
    other updates as well. The Catroot2 problem can be avoided by installing
    Q817287.

    Windows Update 643 Error and the Catalog Database
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817287

    --
    torgeir
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP), Sep 9, 2003

  3. Mario

    Kathy Guest

    Try this site:

    http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

    Good Luck!!!

    Kathy

    Kathy, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Mario wrote:
    > I am trying to install updates, I receive this error:
    > Setup could not verify the integrity of the file
    > update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running
    > on this computer. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
    > error?

    try

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281458

    there's also a similar prob with Win XP that invovles renaming
    the catroot2 folder in %systemroot%\system32 ... not sure but
    you could try renaming the catroot folder if the above does'nt
    help?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk