Creative Launches First 6.1 Speaker System

Reaction score
In other Creative news, they launched the Inspire 6.1 6600 speakers today, which support Dolby Digital EX in computers that also have the new Audigy 2 sound card (check out the below news article).

For those of you who aren't familiar with the 6.1 speaker spec, it's basically a 5.1 system (2 front, one front center, 2 rear and a subwoofer), with an added rear center channel. The system’s five speakers with 8 Watts RMS each and front center speaker with 20 Watts RMS are each built with the Creative IFP™ (Image Focusing Plate) design technology that employs a curved front baffle and a contoured driver flare to improve the speaker’s sonic accuracy without sacrificing tonal balance.

It's great that they really want to immerse us in the games and all, but most of us don't have room for the rear speakers. I think it's great to be able to know what's coming all around you in games, and it even helps a lot in certain circumstances, but for me, I have a 4.1 setup. My two rears are actually set up on the side right now, because I just have no room in the back, short of buying expensive stands or something of the like. Oh well.

Check out the full press release.

Ask a Question