Creative CT4810 (Vibra128) or Crystal SoundFusion?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Multimedia' started by Clark Thomas, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Clark Thomas

    Clark Thomas Guest

    I'm trying to use a Creative VIBRA 128 (CT4810) soundboard, but no
    way.
    Using Crystal (Crystal SoundFusion) or Creative drivers, it isn't
    possible to do this board PLAY on Win98 (although in the Device
    Manager the device is displayed as functional). The MIDI output
    (I've a MIDI instrument attached) works OK, but when I try to play
    some WAVE file (.mp3, .wav, ...), the PC crash (freeze).
    I've already tryied to change the IRQ, I've used various drivers
    (as mentioned, some by Creative and others by Crystal), but all
    have the same behaviour (freeze the PC). I searched in the
    discussion groups and I found some problems related to this, but
    all without solution.

    In Win98, using the Creative driver, the configuration is as follow:

    - ECS L7VMM2 (motherboard)
    - The following boards is enabled: ethernet, video and modem (I
    disabled the onboard soundboard - the connector - jack - is
    burned)

    - IRQ's: 00 - system timer
    01 - keyboard
    02 - programmable interrupt controller
    03 - acpi irq's
    04 - via vt83c572 pci to usb ...
    04 - acpi irq's
    04 - via pci to usb ...
    05 - creative vibra 128 legacy
    06 - floppy controller
    07 - lpt1
    08 - cmos
    09 - irq sci ...
    10 - acpi irq's
    10 - hsp56
    10 - via vt83c572 pci to usb ...
    11 - via rhine II ...
    11 - via vt83c572 pci to usb ...
    11 - creative vibra 128
    11 - s3 graphics prosavageddr
    12 - ps/2 mouse
    13 - numeric data processor
    14 - pci ide
    14 - pci ide
    15 - pci ide
    15 - pci ide

    - DMA's: 01 - creative vibra 128 legacy
    02 - floppy controller
    04 - dma controller

    The BIOS configuration:
    - PnP/PCI Configs
    - PnP OS Installed: No
    - Resources Controlled by: Manual
    - IRQ 3 to 11: Reserved
    - IRQ 12: PCI Device

    Now, using the Crystal driver:

    - IRQ's: 00 - system timer
    01 - keyboard
    02 - programmable interrupt controller
    04 - acpi irq's
    04 - via vt83c572 pci to usb ...
    04 - via pci to usb ...
    05 - acpi irq's
    05 - via vt83c572 pci to usb ...
    06 - floppy controller
    07 - lpt1
    08 - cmos
    09 - irq sci ...
    10 - acpi irq's
    10 - hsp56
    10 - via vt83c572 pci to usb ...
    11 - via rhine 2 ...
    11 - via vt83c572 pci to usb ...
    11 - crystal soundfusion
    11 - s3 graphics prosavageddr
    12 - ps/2 mouse
    13 - numeric data processor
    14 - pci ide
    14 - pci ide
    15 - pci ide
    15 - pci ide

    - DMA's: 02 - floppy controller
    04 - dma controller

    A BIOS:
    - PnP/PCI Configs
    - PnP OS Installed: No
    - Resources Controlled by: Auto(ESCD)

    To kill all doubts, I also installed the WinXP in the same machine ...
    the soundboard was detected as 'Crystal SoundFusion Device' and
    installed automatically by the OS. For my surprise, when I try to
    play a WAVE file, the PC freeze as in Win98.

    Below the resources used by the devices in WinXP:

    - IRQ's: (ISA) 0 - system timer
    (ISA) 1 - keyboard
    (ISA) 6 - floppy controller
    (ISA) 8 - cmos
    (ISA) 9 - acpi
    (ISA) 12 - ps/2 mouse
    (ISA) 13 - numeric data processor
    (ISA) 14 - primary ide
    (ISA) 15 - secondary ide
    (PCI) 16 - crystal soundfusion(tm) device
    (PCI) 21 - usb controller
    (PCI) 21 - usb 2.0 controller
    (PCI) 22 - hsp56mr
    (PCI) 16 - via rhine II ...

    - DMA's: 02 - floppy controller
    04 - dma controller

    The BIOS is configured as follow:
    - PnP/PCI Configs
    - PnP OS Installed: No
    - Resources Controlled by: Auto(ESCD)

    Can someone help me?

    Clark Thomas, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Clark Thomas

    Alvin Brown Guest

    Hello

    Is it supported under Win XP

    Al

    Alvin Brown, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Try this link for drivers:

    http://us.creative.com/support/down.../&hdAllProduct=1&LangID=1033&hdDspLangID=1033

    It sounds like software problems, not IRQ which would be hardware
    conflicts. Try uninstalling all of the sounds drivers you have tried to
    install and go to the above mentioned link after you REBOOT. It will
    automatically detect your soundcard and download the latest drivers and
    install them for you.

    Nathan McNulty

    Nathan McNulty, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Clark Thomas

    Jerry Wong Guest

    I heard that there is problem in using K7 mobo with sound blaster live. Will
    it also with Vibra 128?
    I am using Abit KT7A mobo with Althon 1.33G. Which sound card should I buy
    to replace my sound blaster ISA? I need the sound card works in win98,
    Linux (kernel 2.4 or above) and windows server 2003.

    Thanks.
    Jerry

    "Nathan McNulty" <> ???
    news: ???...

    Jerry Wong, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Well, as for the hardware incompatibility. I have not heard this, but
    even if it were true, it would simply require changing of code in the
    BIOS to add support. There should be a BIOS update if this were the
    case. Second, I would suggest a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (you can decide
    if Audigy 2 is worth the extra money, otherwise go with the original
    Audigy). Finally, Sound Blaster Live are decent cards, but are going to
    be outdated very soon as Creative is looking to release their Audigy 3
    here pretty soon. I would wait for that and then get an Audigy 2 after
    the prices drop ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Nathan McNulty, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Clark Thomas

    Clark Thomas Guest

    Thank you guys for the help. Unfortunately no one of that replies
    helped me to solve the problem. In parallel to the discussion groups,
    I contacted the Cirrus Logic, Creative and ECS. The Cirrus and
    Creative
    answered me. Below the messages:

    Data: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:36:24 +0100 (BST)
    De: "Creative Americas Technical Support"
    Para: "Clark Thomas"
    Assunto: Re: CLI - Technical Support Request

    Dear Customer,
    Your sound card is an Ensoniq Audio PC. Please download and install
    the
    drivers available online at http://us.creative.com/, click on Support,
    Downloads and follow the online instructions.
    For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Georges (14138)
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    ----- messages end ------

    A firm coleague will lend me your SoundBlaster Live! 4.1 ... also
    I lended to him mine soundboard (Vibra128 or Ensoniq?). Now I can
    know if the problem is in the sound board or in my motherboard.

    Thank you again,

    Clark.

    Clark Thomas, Jul 20, 2004