    etc), and then save it, it will give me that message. Even after selecting
    Save As and then selecting the file gives me that message.

    Any reason on why this is?

    Guest, Oct 21, 2007

    Charlie42 Guest

    Zed <> wrote:

    When I try to modify some of my files, it will occasionally come up with
    > the follow message:
    >
    > "Cannot create the --- file.
    >
    > Make sure that the path and file name are correct."
    >
    > Example: When I tried to add a line to my hosts file (system32 - drivers
    > - etc), and then save it, it will give me that message. Even after
    > selecting Save As and then selecting the file gives me that message.
    >
    > Any reason on why this is?

    Are you running as administrator? Vista won't allow a standard user
    account to save files in the system folders.

    Charlie42

    Charlie42, Oct 21, 2007

  3. "Zed" <> wrote ...
    > When I try to modify some of my files, it will occasionally come up with
    > the
    > follow message:
    > "Cannot create the --- file.
    > Example: When I tried to add a line to my hosts file (system32 - drivers -
    > etc), and then save it, it will give me that message. Even after selecting
    > Any reason on why this is?

    Hi Zed

    That's correct. The Hosts file is protected, so you cannot easily write to
    it. Hijacking IP addresses via hosts file is a favourite technique for
    viruses and bots, to spoof sites and locations.

    To edit hosts file, you need the full Administrative token. For example:
    right-click on the Command Prompt icon in Start Menu, and choose "Run as
    Administrator". Then change directory to the drivers\etc directory. Then run
    the command "notepad hosts". You should be able to edit the file and save
    the changes.

    Similar restrictions apply to many files located under "Program Files" and
    "Windows" directories. The idea is that Vista is intended to be more secure
    than previous versions; the side-effect is some loss of user convenience.

    Hope it helps,
    --
    Andrew McLaren
    amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

    Andrew McLaren, Oct 21, 2007

    Cool, thanks a bunch guys, it works now.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2007