Windows XP Creating a template for a numbered document

Reaction score
Using MS Word2003 Sp2. Running under windows XP Pro SP2.
Hi, I am a member of Volunteer Marine Rescue Mackay. I have been charged with rewriting the Standard Operating Procedures for the radio room.
I would like to set up a template that can be used eventually to rewrite all of our SOPs.
I am trying to set up the template so that as each document is created for a different SOP it is given a document number. I have one that I am getting ideas from and this one has a heading box (It is in the document header, and appears on each page of the document).

The header details the name of the organization, Then it has a title, "Standard Operating Procedures".
It has a section title, in this case "Communication" then a document title "SOP- 170: Office procedures."
I know that that number changes for the different SOPs in this organization.
The header box also has a field on the right hand side that says "Issue 1". Under that is a heading titled "Date" and a there is a date ( I guess the date the document was printed?) and the page number ie: "3 of 7".

I am having trouble with creating the "rolling Document number". That was the first reason that I decided I was getting nowhere and that maybe I should ask for some help from someone who knows more about this than I do.

While I'm asking for help, I might as well mention that I'm also not too sure what the "Issue number" would be.
Maybe a revision number?

If so that would need to increment as well. but it would be according to different criteria to the SOP number.
If it were a revision number it would help to alleviate one of the problems that I see with the sops that we have. As they are modified, nobody knows where the modified docs fit in the timeline of the modifications for that document. So we can have several versions of the same Document floating around in different areas and it is not until they are read closely that you can see that they are actually different ...but then which is the obsolete one and is the later one the latest???

The "date printed" and the the "page number" I'm pretty sure I can work out. However, I'm happy to be given direction in this as well.

My background is coal mining/Plant operating, so some would say I am out of my depth in this, and maybe I am, but this organization is a good organization.

However, they are behind the times in a lot of ways with how they do things other than their core business. (Which is rescuing people who's boats have broken down or been wrecked). In that core function they are superb ...been operating for 30 years, often go out to sea in weather that everyone else stays home in, long hours at sea, towing boats home. All personnel are unpaid volunteers and never lost a life, from crew or people being rescued.
I accept that I may be out of my depth in what I'm doing but without trying to sound like I am blowing my own trumpet I am probably the most capable in the group to do it. What I don't know how to do, I know how to find out.

My vision with this is to set up a SOP system that can be carried through from the Radio Room (which is the area that I have been asked to rewrite the SOPs for), to be used eventually in all areas of the squad. We have got a lot of SOPs but they are out of date and incorrect and there is no method of auditing the system or individual SOPs. The radio room ones are a shambles. The radio room runs more on what the operators know than what is in the SOPs.

I would appreciate any help that I can get in this area. I have yahoo and msn messenger if that would be seen to be useful to make for easier discussion.
I'm in Australia, but if the assistance offered was from the other side of the globe to me, it would not be unheard of for me to be awake at a similar time as most people are awake over there. (I worked permanent night shift for nine years and so I often still stay awake till quite late at night). Because I'm a housewife (read my bio on this ... I cheat:D ) I am often available through out the daytime here as well.
I don't live on the computer but if I knew that there was going to be someone who wanted to meet with me online, I could probably make it work.
Kind Regards,
Paul.

Last edited:

Ask a Question