    document? Using from the Edit Menu, Replace? for example, for every
    comma it detects a carriage return on the comma.

    , Dec 28, 2006

  2. Graham Mayor Guest

    There is no 'carriage' to return in a word processor. Pressing the enter key
    (^p in the replace dialog) creates a new paragraph. Shift enter (^l) creates
    a new line within a paragraph.
    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Dec 28, 2006

    Hey Graham,
    Thanks, I realized I put this into the wrong group. I am trying to
    make a script easier to read using Notepad. I know there is a command
    out there using the Edit\Replace to substitute commas with a carriage
    return to make everything with a comma on a new line.

    Sorry if I was confusing, but thanks for responding. Any thoughts
    using Notepad?

  4. Graham Mayor Guest

    You'll need to use a more capable text editor, such as Word or maybe
    UltraEdit.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Dec 29, 2006
  5. petargolubovic

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    This can be done in Notepad (for CSV files)

    You can search and replace by CR in Notepad (works for CSV purposes) by:

    - Firing up Excel, and typing Alt-Enter in a cell to enter a CR
    - Saving this file as CSV
    - Opening this CSV in Notepad - the CR will be shown as a blank square
    - Copy this square and paste it into Replace
    - When replace is done, CR will be there, and can be interpreted (though not with Notepad - but Wordpad will do it, so will Excel...)

    Petar

    petargolubovic, Jun 23, 2009
  6. gburdett

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    There are a couple of solutions. This requires a text editor with more features than Notepad, preferably "regular expressions".
    1) Get a free download of Notepad++. After pasting your text into a new file window, select Search / Replace from the menu. Put a comma in the "Find what:" box, and the following in the "Replace with:" box: \n

    NOTE: You must select the radio button at the bottom left of the replace popup for "Regular expression". The above will execute a regular expression to replace all commas with a carriage return.

    2) The same thing can be done with Edit Pad Pro, Ultraedit, etc. Another idea is to view the file in hexadecimal code (Editpad Pro should be able to do this), do a find for the hex value of a comma (2C), and do a "replace all" with the hex value of a carriage return (0D).

    Greg Burdett

    gburdett, Oct 27, 2011
  7. smokenapple

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey Tony,
    You may do the following to get it the way you want.
    Replace " , " with " <br> " and then, save as with an " .html " extension.
    Open the html file in the browser, You'll get it the way you want. Copy the text from there, and paste it back to the notepad, saving it as a text file. :thumb:

    smokenapple, Jun 15, 2013