    So I thought I would make a macro on the toolbar and then just click on that
    and not have to click on tools, rules, etc.
    How do I do that?

    DLGolfs, Mar 3, 2010

  2. Sub RunRuleMyRule()
    Application.Session.DefaultStore.GetRules.Item("myRuleName).Execute
    End Sub

    Customize the toolbar where you want the macro button and select the macro
    from the Macros collection in the customize dialog. It will be in the
    Commands tab under the Macros group. Drag it to where you want it. While in
    customize you can click your new button and change the name and other
    settings.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 3, 2010

  3. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    I was directed to this site, but I don't know anything about programming, I
    apologize. I put the macro on the toolbar but it does not show any macros are
    created. That is my point, I have to create a macro and then I can run it
    from the toolbar, but don't know how to creat a macro in Outlook b/c there is
    no avenue to do it.
    I unfortunatley do not understand the "sub runrulemyrule()" stuff, I am sorry

    Why does only this rule not run? all the others run and I set them up the
    same way, it runs manually, but not automatically.

    ty

    DLGolfs, Mar 4, 2010
  4. I have no idea why one or the other of your rules isn't running
    automatically, that has nothing to do with Outlook programming. That you can
    ask on one of the general Outlook groups.

    That code I showed is the macro. You use Alt+F11 to open the Outlook VBA
    project and open a code module there and put the code there, then it will
    show up as a macro. You just need to change the code to use the actual name
    of your rule rather than "myRuleName".

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 5, 2010
  5. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    OK here is what I did, the rules name is Delete spam:
    Sub RunRuleDeleteSpam()
    Application.Session.DefaultStore.GetRules.Item "Delete Spam.Execute"
    End Sub

    When I try to run it I get a run time error, The operation failed. An
    object cannot be found. There is a number too.
    I have the rule set up as Delete spam

    then I made some changes and here is the string:
    Sub RunRuleDeleteSpam()
    Application.Session.DefaultStore.GetRules.Item Delete Spam.Execute
    End Sub

    now I am getting a syntax error

    I am trying, never did this in the past, please be patient :)

    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 5, 2010
  7. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    ok, copy , pasted below into the editor module, run "macro" from VBA and
    outlook and nothing happens, sorry

    I put in in a module and a design module and neither work.

    DLGolfs, Mar 5, 2010
  8. The macro should be in a code module.

    So what happens? Do you get any errors or what? It might be necessary to
    expand that one-liner so you can see where things are failing. Let's try
    that:

    Sub RunRuleDeleteSpam()
    Dim oNS As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim oStore As Outlook.Store
    Dim colRules As Outlook.Rules
    Dim oRule as Outlook.Rule

    Set oNS = Application.GetNameSpace("MAPI")
    Set oStore = oNS.DefaultStore
    Set colRules = oStore.Rules
    Set oRule = colRules.Item("Delete Spam")
    oRule.Execute
    End Sub

    Put your cursor in that macro in the VBA project and press F5. See what
    happens when the macro executes, if you get any errors or what.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 5, 2010
  9. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    There is no code module only class module and module, so I used module.

    cut and pasted, then ran and got run time error 438, Object does not support
    property or method,
    then it higlights this line:
    Set colRules = oStore.Rules

    DLGolfs, Mar 5, 2010
  10. A module is a code module.

    Sorry, that line should have been:

    Set colRules = oStore.GetRules()

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 8, 2010
  11. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    Just so I know that I am doing it correctly, through VB or Oulook, I chose
    macro and run macro and click ok?

    I did that and nothing happened :(

    DLGolfs, Mar 9, 2010
  12. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    By the way, I made sure the changed was saved, closed OUtlook, then opened
    it, enabled the macros and tried to run it.
    I made sure I was in the file it is suppose to run the rule.

    But nothing happened, no errors

    DLGolfs, Mar 9, 2010
  13. You will need to set a breakpoint, step the code and see what's going on
    with it. To do so click in your macro code on the Set colRules line in the
    left hand border of the code module window. The line should then be
    highlighted. When you run the macro it will stop on that line.

    You can then step the code from there using F8. At each step you can use the
    Immediate and Locals windows (View, Immediate Window and Locals Window) to
    check the values of various variables and to output information. Then you
    can see what's going on.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 9, 2010
  14. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    ok, i tried to "set a break point" to "run to cursor" on several lines but
    then when I do that , I try to run the macro, it still does nothing, I hit
    continue and it goes through the lines and still nothing happens

    I am sorry that I can't do this for you. I have built computers and run a
    lot of applicaitons but have never programmed and I appreciate your patience.

    DLGolfs, Mar 10, 2010
  15. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    It also said that it can't execute in breakmode

    DLGolfs, Mar 10, 2010
  16. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    I was thinking and I see whatyou are trying to see, but if I put a breakpoint
    and nothing happens then I don't see what that shows.

    If it goes through 6 lines, let's say then how do we see if it works if all
    the lines are not run ?
    sorry, just thoughts

    DLGolfs, Mar 10, 2010
  17. The idea is to see if the code runs without any errors, what the values of
    the variables is at each step (for example Nothing for a Rules collection
    tells us something, as does Nothing for the value of a Rule when you try to
    get it), and what exactly is happening when each code line executes.

    None of us can test or debug the code on your machine for you, obviously.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 10, 2010
  18. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    Sorry that I cannot do the programming that you want; but it does run without
    errors, it is just that the "rule" does not run, when I mean "nothing" I mean
    that the rulle does not run, it does not delete the spam in the junk folder.
    No boxes open, nothing happens, like I did nothing.

    I guess it just can't be done with a macro, thatnks for trying anyway, I'll
    just have to do it manually, which is a real pain, but so be it.

    DLGolfs, Mar 10, 2010
  19. DLGolfs

    DLGolfs Guest

    What are values of the vairables? Is there a way to see that?

    All I know is if I run it and/or brekapoint it , then it either does
    nothing, that is litterally nothing happens OR it opens VB and shows me the
    first line in yellow

    DLGolfs, Mar 10, 2010
  20. Open the Locals window, that will show all variables in scope and their
    values. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Mar 11, 2010