Could not load file or assembly...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET Framework' started by Guest, Oct 10, 2007.

    Hi,

    I am developing a middle tier WCF server called BusinessLogic, using the
    Enterprise Library. Although I posted similar question on the EL forums (no
    answer yet), it seems to me that the problem is more general .NET related
    than WCF or EL specific. The problem shows when EL exception handling block
    catches one exception and according to a policy throws different exception:
    FaultException<SomeFaultFromBusinessLogic>. When the app. block tries to load
    the fault class from BusinessLogic.dll it throws an exception saying that it
    cannot find BusinessLogic ver. 1.0.0.2719 but the funny thing is that my
    assembly is 1.0.0.1234. No matter what version is the assembly it always
    tries to load ver. 1.0.0.2719. Can you please help - this has been haunting
    me for weeks now.

    Thank you
    Val

    A first chance exception of type 'Abc.BusinessLogic.FieldNullException'
    occurred in BusinessLogic.dll
    General Information: 1 : Timestamp: 10/8/2007 8:17:18 AM
    Message:
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionHandlingException:
    Could not load file or assembly 'BusinessLogic, Version=1.0.0.2719,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=25be6966e7e7a65e' or one of its dependencies.
    The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly
    reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) --->
    System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'BusinessLogic,
    Version=1.0.0.2719, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=25be6966e7e7a65e' or one
    of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not
    match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
    File name: 'BusinessLogic, Version=1.0.0.2719, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=25be6966e7e7a65e'
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle._GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean
    throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark&
    stackMark, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError,
    Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.RuntimeType.PrivateGetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError,
    Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Type.GetType(String typeName)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.WCF.Configuration.FaultContractHandlerAssembler.Assemble(IBuilderContext
    context, ExceptionHandlerData objectConfiguration, IConfigurationSource
    configurationSource, ConfigurationReflectionCache reflectionCache)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.AssemblerBasedObjectFactory`2.Create(IBuilderContext
    context, TConfiguration objectConfiguration, IConfigurationSource
    configurationSource, ConfigurationReflectionCache reflectionCache)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyEntryCustomFactory.Create(IBuilderContext
    context, ExceptionTypeData objectConfiguration, IConfigurationSource
    configurationSource, ConfigurationReflectionCache reflectionCache)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyCustomFactory.CreateObject(IBuilderContext
    context, String name, IConfigurationSource configurationSource,
    ConfigurationReflectionCache reflectionCache)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.ConfiguredObjectStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext
    context, Type t, Object existing, String id)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext
    context, Type typeToBuild, Object existing, String idToBuild)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.SingletonStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext
    context, Type typeToBuild, Object existing, String idToBuild)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext
    context, Type typeToBuild, Object existing, String idToBuild)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.ConfigurationNameMappingStrategy.BuildUp(IBuilderContext
    context, Type t, Object existing, String id)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderBase`1.DoBuildUp(IReadWriteLocator
    locator, Type typeToBuild, String idToBuild, Object existing, PolicyList[]
    transientPolicies)
    at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderBase`1.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator
    locator, Type typeToBuild, String idToBuild, Object existing, PolicyList[]
    transientPolicies)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.BuilderBase`1.BuildUpTTypeToBuild(IReadWriteLocator
    locator, String idToBuild, Object existing, PolicyList[] transientPolicies)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUpT(IReadWriteLocator
    locator, String id, IConfigurationSource configurationSource)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.LocatorNameTypeFactoryBase`1.Create(String name)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicy.GetExceptionPolicy(Exception
    exception, String policyName, ExceptionPolicyFactory factory)

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: User = VTMELAMED\valo
    LOG: DisplayName = BusinessLogic, Version=1.0.0.2719, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=25be6966e7e7a65e
    (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase =
    file:///C:/Users/valo/Documents/Projects/Abc/Abc.dev/Main/US/BusinessLogic/BusinessLogicExecutable/bin/Debug/
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
    Calling assembly :
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.WCF, Version=3.1.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
    ===
    LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
    LOG: Using application configuration file:
    C:\Users\valo\Documents\Projects\Abc\Abc.dev\Main\US\BusinessLogic\BusinessLogicExecutable\bin\Debug\BusinessLogicExecutable.vshost.exe.config
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: BusinessLogic, Version=1.0.0.2719,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=25be6966e7e7a65e
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Users/valo/Documents/Projects/Abc/Abc.dev/Main/US/BusinessLogic/BusinessLogicExecutable/bin/Debug/BusinessLogic.DLL.
    WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Revision Number
    ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x80131040). Probing
    terminated.

    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicy.GetExceptionPolicy(Exception
    exception, String policyName, ExceptionPolicyFactory factory)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicy.HandleException(Exception
    exceptionToHandle, String policyName, ExceptionPolicyFactory policyFactory)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicy.HandleException(Exception exceptionToHandle, String policyName)
    at
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.WCF.ExceptionShieldingErrorHandler.ProvideFault(Exception
    error, MessageVersion version, Message& fault)
    Category: General
    EventId: 1
    Severity: Information
    Title:
    Machine: DOLORES
    App Domain: BusinessLogicExecutable.vshost.exe
    ProcessId: 5540
    Process Name:
    C:\Users\valo\Documents\Projects\Abc\Abc.dev\Main\US\BusinessLogic\BusinessLogicExecutable\bin\Debug\BusinessLogicExecutable.vshost.exe
    Thread Name:
    Win32 ThreadId:7992
    Extended Properties: HandlingInstance ID: -
    acda3991-9cc1-4674-a467-63cc86bbf574

    Guest, Oct 10, 2007

  2. Start by purging your machine of all the dll's related to that assembly.
    Then, perform a clean and then a build. Post back here if you make no
    progress.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Oct 11, 2007

    Alvin,

    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I have tried that before and
    tried it again today and still get the same...

    Any other ideas? I'll appreciate it.

    Thank you
    Val

    Guest, Oct 14, 2007

    I ran thru the same problem this morning.
    After a careful thought, it sounds like both WCF and .Net combination problem.
    The server (WCF) was upgraded recently and I was expecting the client to connect to at least some basic services(the first service which lets client to know if it needs to update) and then passes parameters to update. But theWCF service dictates the client to load DLL of the WCF server version, which the client doesn't have. As such exception is throw.

    Plans to change the first connecting service, independent of all other DLLs..
    Hope this might solve our autoupdate module.

    , Aug 2, 2012