Could not install the Simple TCP/IP services component

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by gwolanin@gmail.com, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Ok... Someone please help me.
    I have searched the web for 4 days on this to rule out something simple
    that I am missing. I could not find the problem.

    Problem
    "Could not install the Simple TCP/IP services component because a file
    or registry entry is missing" & My network cards will not install. The
    hardware simply will not install. It finds the NIC, I have even tried
    to install the drivers from the original CD. I think that this problem
    is tied with each the tcp/ip component and hardware

    History
    I was having problems with TCP/IP connections. After my machine would
    boot, I would lose internet within 10 minutes. Something was loading
    that I couldn't find. So I thought that maybe removing the TCP/IP
    components and NIC card hardware that I could reinstall it if it was
    corrupted.

    I ran McAfee virus scan, Norton Antivirus, & BitDefender Antivirus,
    Spybot search and destoy, McAfee Antispyware... these all found 0
    viruses.

    What I have tried

    I have run

    netsh int ip reset (appeared to have done something, but didn't fix
    the problem)
    Add Windows Component (this is where I get the error)
    Ran the MS Support procedure for determining Winsock2 corruption
    Virus scan again.
    Ran trial version of System Mechanic to clean registry.

    BTW... REGCLEAN appears to just run and run. I let it run overnight
    and it just hung there in the same spot.

    If you can help, it would be nice to know what FILES or REGISTRY
    entries I need to manually have in order to install this. I do not
    want to reload the OS but it is appearing to be closer to that solution
    day by day.

    Thanks in advance

    George

    , Aug 21, 2006

  2. Guest Guest

    I'm not even sure what 'Simple TCP/IP services' are for - and I've never
    encountered a computer where that add-on is used. Perhaps someone else could
    elucidate on that aspect?

    Main point, I guess you're trying to get your LAN card working in a standard
    setup, and this is nothing to do with your problem.

    The TCP/IP settings are found under the network connection properties in
    Control Panel. However, I don't think they would ever cause a timed failure.

    I presume you are connecting to the Internet via a router, if you're using a
    LAN card? I just ask this because the symtom of connection-drop after a few
    minutes is typical of USB modems which draw too much current from the USB
    port.

    The other thing to check is that "Allow the computer to turn this device off
    to save power" is NOT checked, in the LAN card properties. This is another
    very common cause of drop-outs.

    It's also possible you have a Trojan or malware interfering with the
    conenction.

    Guest, Aug 21, 2006

    Well, 'Simple TCP/IP Services' is the choice that I get when I
    traverse through

    Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
    Components

    Scroll until you see Network Choices.

    It is the simple TCP/IP configuration that is available.

    My router has nothing to do with this picture. Everything is acting on
    the Windows Machine itself. I am 99% sure there is a virus or malware
    on the machine, but my listed choices above to remove it were
    unsuccessful in finding anything.

    I have noticed that when I watch the process viewer, svchost.exe spikes
    to 98% CPU usage, and yes I have already scanned for the Welchia worm
    that is related to this. The Symantec scanner didn't find anything..

    Still puzzled...

    Ian wrote:
    > I'm not even sure what 'Simple TCP/IP services' are for - and I've never
    > encountered a computer where that add-on is used. Perhaps someone else could
    > elucidate on that aspect?
    >
    > Main point, I guess you're trying to get your LAN card working in a standard
    > setup, and this is nothing to do with your problem.
    >
    > The TCP/IP settings are found under the network connection properties in
    > Control Panel. However, I don't think they would ever cause a timed failure.
    >
    > I presume you are connecting to the Internet via a router, if you're using a
    > LAN card? I just ask this because the symtom of connection-drop after a few
    > minutes is typical of USB modems which draw too much current from the USB
    > port.
    >
    > The other thing to check is that "Allow the computer to turn this device off
    > to save power" is NOT checked, in the LAN card properties. This is another
    > very common cause of drop-outs.
    >
    > It's also possible you have a Trojan or malware interfering with the
    > conenction.

    , Aug 21, 2006
  4. Guest Guest

    "" wrote:

    > I have noticed that when I watch the process viewer, svchost.exe spikes
    > to 98% CPU usage, and yes I have already scanned for the Welchia worm
    > that is related to this. The Symantec scanner didn't find anything..

    Certainly suspicious, though a faulty driver can do this too.

    Ad-aware (http://lavasoftusa.com) and Hijack This are better scanners for
    malware. Spybot I don't find too effective as a preventive measure, though it
    does have its uses.

    Guest, Aug 21, 2006

    I decided to run the Repair option from the Windows CD, now my PC
    performs rolling boots after the windows logo pops up.. Looks like
    there is a "blue screen of death" right before it reboots.

    effing Windows !!

    ;-(

    So, Lan --

    I didn't even get the chance to run your recommended spyware/malware
    utility.

    Ian wrote:
    > "" wrote:
    >
    > > I have noticed that when I watch the process viewer, svchost.exe spikes
    > > to 98% CPU usage, and yes I have already scanned for the Welchia worm
    > > that is related to this. The Symantec scanner didn't find anything..

    > Certainly suspicious, though a faulty driver can do this too.
    >
    > Ad-aware (http://lavasoftusa.com) and Hijack This are better scanners for
    > malware. Spybot I don't find too effective as a preventive measure, though it
    > does have its uses.

    , Aug 23, 2006