Corrupted User Account

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Kev Middleman, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    One of the limited accounts on my system seems to have become corrupted.
    Logging onto the count just brings up the default blue screen with the
    wastebasket in the corner. All items normally shown on user's desktop are
    missing. OS view is also set to 'classic'.

    Going thought the display menu and changing the options there has no effect
    on what is seen.

    Account can no longer connect to internet either.

    I can't think of anything I've changed on the computer since the account was
    last working so don't know why it's doing this.

    Windows Restore points will not work to take the system back to a time where
    it worked properly so that option's out.

    I know I can set up a new account and transfer files to this but I'd much
    rather fix the account already in place.

    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

    Thanks

    Kev Middleman, Sep 21, 2003

  2. What you've mentioned is the only way to fix a user account. Create a new
    one and transfer the files:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318011

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\), Sep 21, 2003